Medicare open enrollment ends Dec. 7! Get the information you need from AARP’s Medicare resource center.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Survival Skills

Message 1 of 6

@normar330701 wrote:

I know what you mean. I finally had to sit my 40 yr old  Son down, look him in th eye and explain, Son, you have to learn how to manage your own affairs. Eventually I will die. I'm not kidding!  All a mother can hope for is that her children can take care of themselves and you can't so what will you do? " 

@NJSmirk  Good for you for having that talk!  I hope it redirected your son's attention and abilities.

When people hear about my unorthodox childhood, they generally recoil in horror (some have flat out called me a liar) but I tell you what: having to take full responsibility for myself at a tender age has served me well. I can build shelter; hunt, raise and forage food; make medicine and even weave the fabric for clothing. What I have no skill for is living in a city: LOL!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

I know what you mean. I finally had to sit my 40 yr old  Son down, look him in th eye and explain, Son, you have to learn how to manage your own affairs. Eventually I will die. I'm not kidding!  All a mother can hope for is that her children can take care of themselves and you can't so what will you do? " 

Norma Ray
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

@normar330701 wrote:

Many of our younger people dismiss advise from their Seniors. How ever if we ever come into a major disaster, would the younger generation know how to survive.? I'm not so sure. I have a couple of Nephews that can fish and hunt but I also have two Nieces that can't sew a button on or cook a meal. Very smart Colledge grads with no clue. They can't check their own oil in the car, they wouldn't know how to start a fire, or put up a tent.I'm sure you have experienced something simular.

It's going to be up to the older generation to teach the young ones how to survive. To secure a shelter, prepair food, store food, make clothing, shoes, tools, weapons, medical supplies, etc. Our job will be to teach.

@NJSmirk Oh man, during the recession I taught, wrote columns and articles about and blogged survival skills until I was blue in the face. I was constantly amazed at the low level of information people had about the way things work and how to do stuff for yourself.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

@retiredtraveler wrote:

"...It's going to be up to the older generation to teach the young ones how to survive....".

Nah. Cull the herd. Two days without internet will kill them anyway.

@retiredtraveler Full on belly laugh! 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

"...It's going to be up to the older generation to teach the young ones how to survive....".

Nah. Cull the herd. Two days without internet will kill them anyway.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Survival Skills

Message 6 of 6

Many of our younger people dismiss advise from their Seniors. How ever if we ever come into a major disaster, would the younger generation know how to survive.? I'm not so sure. I have a couple of Nephews that can fish and hunt but I also have two Nieces that can't sew a button on or cook a meal. Very smart Colledge grads with no clue. They can't check their own oil in the car, they wouldn't know how to start a fire, or put up a tent.I'm sure you have experienced something simular.

It's going to be up to the older generation to teach the young ones how to survive. To secure a shelter, prepair food, store food, make clothing, shoes, tools, weapons, medical supplies, etc. Our job will be to teach.

Norma Ray
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies