It’s open enrollment season for Affordable Care Act health insurance! Here are 11 things you need to know.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Should the South remove all monuments to Civil War history?

Message 11 of 45
Yes, the administration would downplay it.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 45

Absolutely not, the confederate flag is as much a part of our history as the woolworth in Greensboro, should that be closed and only read about in books?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 45
To me history is history. The past we learn from, to be better in the future, hopefully. May we all realize our mistakes and learn to live with respect and have no need to dominate each other in word, deed or action.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 45
The Civil War happened and taking down monuments and flags won't erase or change history. Andrew Jackson wasn't the only president who owned slaves and the northern states had slaves too
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 45
Hell no! This PC stuff is out of hand
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 45
Yes, it should be removed!!!
It represents a gross inhumane treatment to ALL African Americans and Poor Whites who were overseesr and taught that even though they were poor and abused by the system they were better off just because they were whites. The pain of that division, hatred and hostility still lives and will continue to live as long as there are cowards in leaderships and ignorant unenlightened people in positions of power.
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 45

This is a general comment on the whole moronic issue of doing away with anything that is the history of the South.  I am commenting because I am tired and sad from hearing such ridiculous issues being brought up continually when there is absolutely no reason to do so.  Up front I say that slavery is and was bad and I don't support it at all.  By the way, I live on the west coast and have no chips on my shoulder.

Now the real problem.

Thanks to minority and even majority groups in this once great nation, far too many idiotic non-relevant and no longer existing issues are continuing to be brought up to the world as needing to be corrected.  Hogwash is what I say. For instance, the slavery issue.  Give me a break.  Please show me anyone who is currently living that was enslaved and living in that terrible time and are currently slaves.  Are you enslaved now.?.  Grow up people.  Are you an endenture servant?  I doubt it.  Two hundred years ago this "slavery" problem existed all over Europe.  Are there people running around demanding that everything European be destroyed because it represents endenture service - which was also terrible.  Keeping these past events as current events only makes you look stupid and alienates you to the rest of us and the world.  Start living in the present and make this once great dying Nation a growing and great Nation again.  Believe me, there are far to many more important drastically needed improvements that must be implemented to save us from oblivion.

Since when is history wrong?  Why must symbols, flags, paintings, words and monuments be changed because one group or another that live and thrive on the past history of any issue be allowed to change what is in fact history and must remain as such, even if they supposidly hate what they THINK it represents.  History is History. It exists.  It can't be rewritten.  Should we rewrite what Hitler did just because some Germans dislike what has been written?  Of course, most of the time what hate groups think and what those who only want to make a name for themselves wish is that these so called "current" problems still exist.  But they don't. They are no longer problems. They are history.  These so called "issues" are only brought up by someone wanting publicity and fame and their chance to be put in "history" books.

Some of these seekers of fame and position harp about things like the following:

Forcing sports teams to change their names.  Why must any sports team be forced to change their names because someone doesn't like it just because in their minority opinion it denegrates them.  Again Hogwash.  How can a team named the indians, the chiefs and the redskins for example, hurt anyone?  Are they ashamed of their own racial history.  If they are an indian, so what.  Congratulations.  They at least know who they are.  Most whites, latins, orientals, etc., have no clue what their racial backgrounds are.  So please, give us all a break.

Another example of misguided and simplistic views and attitudes are those who yell that the Southern flag, the stars and bars, represents slavery.  Obviously, anyone who spouts this idiocy has not and does not know their history.  At the time of the Civil War or the War Between the States as it should be known, the southern states were in fact getting rid of slavery.  That sad terrible war was mostly about states rights, not slavery.  For those of you who hate anything southern, please read your history about the Northern states.  They had almost as much slavery as the south and were in fact increasing it. 

Now our stupid bought off politicians are supporting these ridiculous imbecilic demands so that these groups of people will elect them.  So sad that we have such politicians.  Is it any surprise that the good smart people NEVER run for public office?  These politicians want to abolish the rebel flag.  Geeze people.  It is a piece of cloth.  It only was used to recognize states that wanted to be free of Washington and their economic and political demands.  Also, it isthe history of a nation wanting freedom.  The U.S. flag represents a nation that also wanted freedom to rule themselves.  Why don't you demand that that flag be removed?  There is no difference. Remember, slavery was also present in the Northern States.  Instead of running around spouting vitriolic demands to abolish painitings, history, statues, the southern rebel flag and a multitude of other idiotic demands, do something useful and beneficial for yourselves and this country.  But, first get rid of that chip on your shoulder.  It just makes you look laughable. You weren't their when slavery existed.  Grow up.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 45

The monuments to the Civil War represent the sacrifices by both white and black soldiers who served during that time. There were all black volunteer battalions who fought for the Union. The 54th Massachusetts, the 22nd Regiment from Pennsylvania, the 26th Regiment from New York, the 84th Infantry Regiment, and the 108th U.S. Colored troops. There were also black troops that fought for the south, like the  1st South Carolina Regiment, and the 33rd. To believe the Civil war was just about slavery is proposterous. These people who are constantly screaming for the removal of all civil war memorial history have not done any research. They just have a problem with the Confederate Flag. Yes the flag was used by the Ku Klux KLan for many tears, but they have joined the Nazi's now and are no longer a threat to anyone but themselves. The Confederate Flag and the Confederate Memorials are as much a part of history as Martin Luther Kings "I Have a Dream" speech he made in Washington DC. It would not be right, nor would it be good to start a race war over history. Are we going to demand that the Capital building in Washington DC be removed because it stood during the Civil War. I think not. People need to start thinking before they start protesting over something they fail to understand. The Civil War was NOT about SLAVERY, it was about states rights.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 45

I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN MONTGOMERY, ALABAMA.  THE CONFEDERATE FLAG  IS A SYMBOL OF OUR SOUTHERN CULTURE.  IT FLYS OVER OUR HOUSE  OF CONFEDERACY.    IT DID FLY OVER OUR CAPITAL BUT THE GOVERNOR TOOK IT DOWN BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE THOUGHT IT HAD TO DO WITH RACE!  THE CIVIL WAR HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE!  THE SOUTH  AND NORTH HAD ALL TYPES OF PEOPLE FIGHTING ON BOTH SIDES.  PRESIDENT LINCOLN FREED ALL SALVES IN THE SOUTH AND NORTH BUT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CIVIL WAR!

JANICE STRANE

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 45

No.  Absolutely not.  It is our history and we cannot bury it by covering it up.

Kudos
Views