Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Shoot the Breeze

Message 31 of 67

Good morning @JoyaDe!

I sent you a pair of PMs, check your inbox. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 67

@Epster @Frozenoem @ASTRAEA @Prosecco6247

It is chilly in here this morning and I love it!  The windows are open on all sides of the house, with the temp outside of 59 during the early morning hours. I got so chilled that I put a couple of my rice bags in the microwave and put one around my neck and the other on the hassock for my feet.  

So now, I am watching the Cardinal pair out my window, up in one of the elm trees by the drive-way. It isn't often that I see them together. Must be family time. I still haven't managed to get a good (or any) photo of them. When I look at what's on the screen of my camera, it's always blank, after they've flown off.

As to squirrels and berries, I put some cranberry relish that I'd made on top of some dried bread in one of the feeders the other day. I watched as one of the squirrels in his half lenght winter coat, sit on top of the hook hanger staff, and nibble on one of the berries. "Hey, those are for the Cardinals!" I shouted at him and was of course ignored. It was a bit like telling the kids to stay out of the cookie jar.

My counter climbing days ended quite a few years ago. Too old, too fat, and too brittle. I'd shatter, probably, if I fell. After almost a year on prednisone for PMR I am still rather stiff.

We are having a couple days of beautiful weather here in MN. Long winters make for a true appreciation of the change in season.

So, time to get outside and enjoy the day.... 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 67

@Frozenoem wrote:

@Epster

3000 ft. sq house burns 3-4 cords per year, depending upon cold duration. Lopi Liberty heats that much house with a glass door.

Last year around 3 cords of hardwood. I prefer wood to oil, maturity and arthritis.

Doc Jamison and I became close friends after a

Mac Donald and Mac Dougal from the Isle of Skye introduced and gave me their case. Who was I to decline such an offer 😇, had to accept.

Ten years and counting I might weep when I run dry, or heaven forbid require the purchase of a bottle n'er a case😎

Froze

@Frozenoem (redux with addendum) With ya on the wood heat. Dad used to buy and sell antique woodstoves. I've long forgotten the brands and such, but have never lost appreciation for the sheer artistry of those old stoves. Works of art, every one. Indeed, I learned to cook on a wood-fired stove. Now THAT's a trick! Smiley Happy

As we are well aware: you have far colder winters than do we. Our inside living space is but 2,200 sf, but add the 1,300 sf of the greenhouse/solarium and you get 3,500 sf. During those prolonged icy spells we'll open all the doors and windows between the house and the greenhosue, fire up the wood stove and keep us and the plants warm. Mostly we light a wee fire to keep the chill off.  

As to whiskey, well, I hear ya on that too! There's a whiskey bar in a nearby university town that sells shots of exotic whiskeys for $20. Heh, thanks but no thanks. DH keeps some Glenlivet on hand. A bottle lasts him 2 years. While I certainly plan to visit the distilleries when we go to Scotland, I'm more of a vodka gal myself. (That viking heritage finding its way out?)

Addendum:

On the huge heavy wood stove. Oy! That sounds like a scary situation with your ex, the hand truck and the beast.

I looked for a picture online, but couldn't find one, however we had a pot bellied stove that was taller than me (I was 8, but approaching 5 ft already) and adorned with copious amounts of chrome. Gorgeous, and could it ever heat the place! That thing easily heated the farm house. Dad took it apart to move it, I think. I was still a monumental task. 

On owning the logging camp: Say what? Did you operate it as a camping facility ala dude ranch or did you run the logging operation?  

I never lived in a loggin camp, though there were all around when I was a teen, and of course I knew plenty of people who worked in them. Same with the more formal logging company towns.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 67

@Epster

3000 ft. sq house burns 3-4 cords per year, depending upon cold duration. Lopi Liberty heats that much house with a glass door.

Last year around 3 cords of hardwood. I prefer wood to oil, maturity and arthritis.

Doc Jamison and I became close friends after a

Mac Donald and Mac Dougal from the Isle of Skye introduced and gave me their case. Who was I to decline such an offer 😇, had to accept.

Ten years and counting I might weep when I run dry, or heaven forbid require the purchase of a bottle n'er a case😎

Froze

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 67

@Frozenoem OK: I do not know what is happening to this post to give it columns, but here now my third attempt at fixing it to make it readable (sorry for the renotifications)

Froze said:

@JoyaDe I survived the roof, cherry picker arrived.I don't mind roofs in winter with 10 foot of winter snows as cushion, just in case.

@Epster My Vertigo left after 20 feet, I was impressed, and Mr. Jamison rewarded me for calming influence when I returned to Mutha Earth. You always could do as my ex, and just climb using the counters for heights above her 5'2" reach, if I wasn't handy.

Time to drink Caffeine, 5 hours sleep, need to cut some trees and wannabes.

Then play in the woodpile 😇.

Hoping the tree cutting went well. How many cords to you go through a year, anyway? Don't hate me, but this year we went through 3/4 of a cord. Typically we go through slightly better than a cord. That passive solar greenhouse attached to both the south and west sides of the hacienda really heat us in winter.

But I like a woodstove, always have. I've been bucking up the trimmed willow and elm limbs. Thinking I won't even have to buy wood this year.

Happy that your vertigo wasn't an issue for the roof job. Happy too that Doc Jamison helped out after the fact. Can't beat good Irish whiskey, 'cept'n if ya wanna go all Isle of Man on it. 

Thinking that your climb on the counter to reach top kitchen shelves thought was for @JoyaDe (it's a good thought, to be sure). I think she's 5'. Being of Orkney stock I'm closer to Amazon in build. I wore platform shoes in high school that made me over 6 ft tall. (I loved it!) I can reach my top kitchen shelves barefooted. 
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 67

@JoyaDe

In response to some Morning Roll Call posts Smiley Happy

You are so right about letting water sit before using it to water potted plants. Good on ya! Hope your plants respond beautifully to the love.

Ah, the rooster crow. I adore living where we routinely hear livestock and farming sounds. Nearby farms raise/keep sheep, goats, horses, donkeys, cows, turkeys, chickens, guineas, alpacas, llamas. Wonderful to be able to hear them all. Heck, I even enjoy those late night hay baling sessons down in the valley.

Re grapes: we're hoping for a repeat performance out of that one grape vine. Last year we harvested 70 pounds of grapes from it. I wouldn't blame it if it took the year off, but that seems not to be the case from the looks of it. Smiley Happy

You wrote: "I bookmarked a site this morning of places in MN that look like good places to go hiking.  This one is for my state, but you can pick your own.  http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/minnesota/trails-mn/"

Fun trail locating website! Love that you can look for trails in any state. Thanks for posting the URL!

Re cottonwoods: Achoo! Smiley Happy Neighbor has a huge old male cottonwood that every year blows seeds into the greenhouse. Years ago I took to hanging netting under the vent in order to catch most of them. I really do enjoy that tree most the time. Most. The. Time. Achoo. Smiley Happy Right now there are orioles nesting in it, so I'm trying to overlook the roughly 20 billion seeds in my gardens.

Re gray squirrel. Ha! What a funny picture you piant. I bet that gret squirrel looks odd in mid-molt. We have red squirrels and Aberts (black) squirrels. The Aberts are shy, but the reds are boisterous and like to pester the hens. So I try to pester them back. Smiley Happy One developed a taste for my greenhouse tomatoes (I swear it did this out of spite). DH about laughed himself silly over my war with that squirrel. I did finally win, but man alive it did not want to abandon its newly discovered food source!

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 67

@GREYGRAMA  

Prosecco said this: "You've had a lot of helpful suggestions from other posters on here but you're still in limbo as to how the case will be adjudicated.  One pro-active step you could take is to make an appointment with or call/write your state legislators and give them the details of the case and any background information that would be helpful.  The neighbor you describe sounds as if she is keeping dangerous animals that are clearly a threat to the health and well-being of other people, pets and livestock in the area.  In such a situation, there should be a law in your state's code to cover the danger you face when leaving your home, getting in and out of the car and taking care of your normal business and activities of daily living on your immediate property and in the neighborhood.  The legislator's office can advise you and if there is no such state code or county/city ordinance...then it should be addressed by the local authorities and state legislature."

And I could simply not agree more. Indeed, while cycling my butt off today, I was thinking of telling you basically the same thing. From what I have read, you have been told there is nothing you can do to protect yourselves and Max from this bad dog owner. Well, if that's the case, then it seems to me it is a case of poor legislation. People should not be made to bear the costs and misery resulting from bad pet owners. Period. Write your representatives, mount a lobbying effort, get a petition going, something, whatever, that will change this situation for the better. Smiley Happy

I wish you success. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 67

@GREYGRAMA I'm replying to your Morning Roll Call post about Max here in the interest of chatting freely without worry about taking a thread off topic. Smiley Happy

First: UGH! Sympathies for you and Max over this situation. I do hope everything works out quickly and well. I know how ugly these dog issues can get, as I've been through dog issues in a couple of states. (boy do the processes vary) One was a rottweiler that kept breaking through the fence to go after our dogs. I ended up having to take the neighbor to court in order to get justice.  The court ordered the owner and his dog to obedience school. He was never a great neighbor, and he stopped talking to us completely (even though we voluntarily paid his fine because he was a struggling single dad) but and however, his dog stopped trashing our fence and our pups lived long happy lives. Smiley Happy

Another time, here in Colorado, because our laws favor livestock over wandering dogs, it was a fairly easy process to get the dog picked up and the owner cited. I did have to do this 3 times before she learned to control her pet, however it took a night in jail and a bunch of fees first. We're serious about not letting uncontrolled dogs harass lifestock here in Colorado.

The third time, another neighbor's dogs kept lunging at the hubster and me when we passed them  on our daily walks and sometimes when we were on our bikes. For this instance, after repeated face-to-face pleas with the owners for them to keep the community safe from their dogs failed, I collected information from other walkers, created an incident log, then went over animal control's head (because they insisted blood had to be drawn before they could do anything: our livestock is better protected than are we in this state!) and submitted the incident log to our county supervisor. He saw the PR debacle brewing and voila! the lunging menaces are no longer part of the daily parade of exercisers on area roads. Indeed, we rarely see those dogs, but when we do they are muzzled and tightly controlled.

Perhaps you can get justice faster with photos, a log, some sort of record of repeated violations/abuses. Maybe you and others can combine stories and go over animal control's head like I had to. In my view, the dogs/pets this woman keeps also require justice. They need a responsible owner. 

I would advise you to keep up the pressure, even if your neighbor becomes surly, because bad dog owners do not, in my experience, tend to figure out how to be responsible pet owners unless the authorities help them along.

I wish you (and Max) every success. 

Epster

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 67

@Epster

@ASTRAEA

It's called the dog lover within me.

Feel loads better this morning the power of meds, and an ER doctor.

A 200 lb dog, must have been the lift. I've moved 300 lb snowblower but, dogs are a little more delicate, with teeth.* on edit - I was impressed I was not the only walking injured this afternoon, add two youngsters of 30.😎.

And didn't have my dogs old ramp available. Will see SW dealer on Monday in theory.

I examined every square inch of paper and hope that oil based paints will work to cover old paint vs. remove the well stuck on paper.

Nothing is loose and really don't want to remove the paper. Last attempt on that wallpaper, I was breathing horse hair for months.

Same with one of upstairs bedrooms horse hair plaster for months. And the buckets of mixed plaster and mud didn't help, to totally seal the stuff.

Frozen

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 67

@Frozenoem - Sorry to hear about your dislocated shoulder! I've had a frozen shoulder, and impingement, so I kind of know what the pain is like!

Maybe the pictures you saw weren't of my kitchen at all! Not sure why they did it that way, but the main L of the countertop is that pale green Corian, and the "bar" side is a black pearl granite. The 3 main colors on the main level are Benjamin Moore "Barely Teal," "Peach Nectar,"  and a couple shades of "melon".

I don't have rugs, although I thought about getting area rugs to define the living & dining room areas, but decided against it. I have a very light beige Berber carpet in the bedroom wing & basement.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera