Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Shoot the Breeze

Message 41 of 67

@Frozenoem Just tossing this out there: if yellow was what you and the ex chose, this change might feel best if you choose anything but yellow. Newness being what it is.

And about the shoulder: crikey, man, what is it with you and your abused self? I mean, good gracious, Froze. Take care of yourself. I trust you have painting help.  Meanwhile, may I suggest an Epsom salts bath?

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 67

@ASTRAEA

Then either I'm hallucinating wouldn't be the first time or merely crazy also wouldn't be a first time.

I remember corian counters in a picture but, swear I saw yellow.

Might have been during my coke bottle blindness era or I was tripping on something.😎

@Prosecco6247

They are Bokhara (spelling way off) orientals. No idea why but, Astraea swung me to the carpets. I might have been on magic carpet ride when I bought them.

All I know I said yellow and my ex agreed. Hence, kitchen and living room. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. Pale to dark yellows.

Might also explain where the green or grey 10%-20%  on Epster link appeals to me.

Remember old Murphy Brown living room? That color is too dark but, somehow pleasing to my eye.

Apologies to one and all if not making sense tonight dislocated shoulder and on med's. Beats the umph of resetting at ER last night.

Had to help load a large St. Bernard in a too tall truck, I might be a tad outta shape or ready to get my rotator cuff worked on.

Frozen

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 67

@Frozenoem wrote:

@ASTRAEA - Dining room and kitchen, I looked at some photos of Astraea's kitchen? And decided that looked good for a color of adjoining rooms. Can't tell one color yellow from another but, liked the results.

More oak and mahogany sun bleached to lighter colors.

@Frozenoem - Since my house is contemporary, the the kitchen, dinette and great room open to each other, and with cathedral ceilings, I decided to have an expert from the local Benjamin Moore dealer take a look, and give me an idea of where to make the color transitions. The main part of the kitchen counter is a pale green Corian, and the backsplash is a medium green custom tile .. expensive to replace all, although shade of green wouldnt be my 1st choice. So the expert also helped me pick a blue with a tinge of green for the walls, so they wouldn't clash .. but it would look more blue.

I love pastel colors, and I have a lot of oak furniture. The kitchen cabinets are a light pickled finish, which I like .. but I might go for white in the future.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 67

We roll with what we have or get. Gold bidet ms and her late husband were unhappy with the 10,000 ft sq they bought so, added an additional 5,000 ft. Sq.

Much as I enjoy the visits, can't really see the need for 10 bedrooms decorated in Versailles/ or Trump Towers meets the woods of Maine.

ms bidet had her bidets and toilets freeze up in 5 bedrooms. Yet, doesn't mind transporting her goats in their 2015 Range Rover with leather seats and power everything.

Time to give a deep think to life and paint.

Frozen

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 67

@Frozenoem I wish you confidence in your selection. Have fun!

On that golden bidet ... this might be a good place for me to admit that our dining room is golden. As in some sort of designer 24K-looking gold. It was there when we bought the place, and frankly my Puritan views on luxury were originally offended. I was sure I had to repaint immediately to save my soul if for no other reason! (only half joking) However, while unpacking linens and dinnerware I realized that everything I had actually went with the gold. And after eating in the room for a week I saw that the color actually went extremely well with the art of dining. So here is is, all these years later, that 24K-looking gold dining room that I may or may not repaint when we finally decide to sell the place. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 67

Wallpaper on new concrete board was a cinch all seams aligned perfectly.

Wallpaper on horse hair plaster walls with 5 gallon buckets of drywall/ plaster  coat and wall paper on freshly repaired, not so much.

Just tired of looking at wallpaper, seeing the paint store owner Monday, next trip to big town.

Might have remembered why I put paneling on one wall in den, tried to removed wallpaper and blessed with wall removal, and horsehair plaster dust.

Oil paint theoretically (love that word) will cover old wallpaper, if that fear is realized. No buckles in wallpaper and it covers the bane of my existence horse hair plaster.

Will look at poster boards of color on walls, for a bit while deciding I can live with this or that color.

At least I have a starting point. Importing a couple of friends with shallow pockets to assist in my color choices.

Asked a neighbor with I thought normal but, eccentric tastes for opinion, not good.

Should have seen The handwriting on the wall between gold bidet and Remington bronze in the bathroom.

Frozen

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 67

Ahhhh, something wonderful about turning the last of the frozen homegrown plums into bread, even though these mini loaves will join the earlier batch in ... the ... freezer. LOL.

@Frozenoem OK on the wallpaper. I confused myself, I guess. (yikes)

Yay for having such a useful skill! Me, I find the hanging and the unhanging portions of wallpaper beyond my skill level. Smiley Happy 

On the yellow: IMHO pale is mo bettah. But of course it is whatever you like, right? 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 67

I've become disgustingly good with removing wallpaper.Still hate to do it. 

3 houses later, 2 apartments, ad nauseum. One dog started on 2 bedrooms wallpaper, sheesh.

No, I mean disgusting old fern large pattern wallpaper, and another 20 foot section of smaller fern green wallpaper.

When I bought the house had to replace one long wall with around 6 feet of burnt wall with concrete backer board and new smaller pattern fern wallpaper.

Frozen

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 67

@Frozenoem Oh wait. Think I'm being slow on the uptake. You mean the walls are now fern as in green, and are not wallpapered?

I have a room in pale yellow, white ceiling. It has two smaller east facing windows. Amazingly good light (which is good, as I use it as a weaving studio).

Addendum: I need to work up some plum walnut bread: t'ain't gonna bake itself. Alas. Smiley Wink

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 67

@Frozenoem Have to agree on the wallpaper. Think what's there will have to be steamed off. PITA time, I know, but necessary. 

I like green too. It's peppy without overdoing it the way yellow can. Smiley Happy

We have two shades of light sage-y green on the living room walls. Sounds like a similar environment to yours. Lots of windows, light wood trim, light hardwood floors (with varigated slate around the black wood stove). Our boxy furniture is upholstered in dark green and light brown leather. One chair has greens & burgundy mini-check upholstery. The furniture finish is eclectic, running from lighter to darker cherry.  So the lighter walls, floor & ceiling offer useful contrast and a brighter air to the room. I've added a few burgundy accents. Candles, blown glass, 2 of the pillows. Not too much. We find the colors at once soothing and warm.

So, yeah, pull color samples at your fave home improvement store, then see which ones you still like in your home's lighting. I'd start with these and see what you and your paint wielding friend agree upon. Smiley Happy

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views