Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Shoot the Breeze

Message 51 of 67

@Epster

I actually like green 10-20% on your link and grays. Hate wallpapers, all forms. Horse hair plaster is a PITA to cover.

South facing Windows say plenty of sun. Woodwork is natural pine  and white or eggshell? and 28" pine floors in need of a refinish.

Furniture is old oak rolltop and lighter oak bookmatched 2-drawer can't remember what it's called circa 1800.

Trouble being minds eye vs reality. Dark brown suede danish chair and dark brown sofa around 6 foot.

But, between black stove and black tv 50" there's a lot of dark in the room. And my must have 3' wood box pine honey colored.Or that's what the old minwax can says floor and box used to be.

Floor finish worn down when dogs feet hit it.

@ASTRAEA

Dining room and kitchen, I looked at some photos of Astraea's kitchen? And decided that looked good for a color of adjoining rooms. Can't tell one color yellow from another but, liked the results.

More oak and mahogany sun bleached to lighter colors.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 67

@Frozenoem You said: "Figure in one more day the ice pack will allow raking the yard.Time to clean garage and find someone with an eye for color.

Tired of looking at fern wallpaper in living room and den. Problem being oak furniture, dark leather and a large black and gold Lopi Liberty in need of a paint job.

The Lopi is a woodstove."

To which I say, Hm. OK. Let's shoot the breeze. Smiley Happy Hopefully this will arm you with ideas to take with you to the meeting with whomsoever you select to help overhaul your living space.

I have some questions for you. Are you looking to replace the wallpaper with more wallpaper or to paint the walls? If I'm reading you right, it sounds like you want/need color, though probably something lighter to balance the dark wood stove and the dark leather. Do I understand correctly? What is the leather color? Black? Brown?

Take a look at this Better Homes & Gardens decorating ideas site: http://www.bhg.com/decorating/color/schemes/?page=2 and http://www.bhg.com/decorating/color/

Are there color combos that you have strong reactions to, either good or bad?

I think color would be better than white, for your through-the-window view is white so much of the time. That said, a darker indoor palette runs the risk of creating a gloomy space. So I suggest a lighter, cheerful-to-subdued hue. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 67

@Epster

And an oops on edit, I might be tired.

Haven't seen curbside service for trash removal since 1989, the year we moved upcountry.

Except for a brief stint 2001-2003 have only seen rubbish pickups in movies. Small town life says town dump or recycling station. AKA the local free good stuff.

If you need a knob for that washer that just broke-dump.

Tire still with tread for the yardtruck dump. Hard drives-dump. Ayuh!

Outta here, need water, coffee'd out.

Frozen

consider it a party line folks😄

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 67

@Frozenoem wrote:

Free, works for most anything except, garbage during a NY strike.

Then even gift wrapping with a pretty bow won't get free taken.

Spent the day/night in hiding, out and about - gazing at trees, mountains and lake ice.

Frozen

50MPH winds kept us from venturing into the woods yesterday, but today is another day!

Ahhhhh, that's real living in my book! Well, not the hiding, but the remains sounds like heaven come true. Your mention of lake ice brings back vivid mountaineering memories: loved to visit remote alpine lakes in the winter that we might be treated to the sounds of ice pellets and chunks being manipulated by the wind. Such a glorious music, that. Always playing a favorite tune. Smiley Happy

On that wood: we have no curbside service. I didn't want to have to haul it to the dump. Changed the ad to speed up the giveaway process. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 67

Free, works for most anything except, garbage during a NY strike.

Then even gift wrapping with a pretty bow won't get free taken.

Spent the day/night in hiding, out and about - gazing at trees, mountains and lake ice.

Frozen

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 67

@Frozenoem  There's a guy in a hoodie down by the beeyard loading up some firewood I advertised on craigslist. 

It's about a fifth of a cord of bucked up pallets: we decided we didn't want to risk burning it. Anyway nobody wanted it until I changed my ad to read: Free (now) Recycled Pallet Firewood ($20 after Easter).

Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 67

Epster said (in part):  "Note the use of the words possibly and may. Posters wishing to use another method of moving their off-topic chatter off a thread are free to do so."

Your qualifiers are duly noted...experienced users of the AARP forums know what they are free to do.  You continue to miss the point that you could have created a thread to continue your conversation with another willing poster that would have solved YOUR problem with PMs without involving everyone else.

Your "solution" ignores the presence of the other participants in the forum and any input they may have been able to provide.  Your solution was arbitrarily applied.  Maybe it's my imagination, but I don't think you were singled out for criticism by Dave or anyone else.

Just an observation, but dialogues between two people don't usually generate an interest in joining the conversation, in fact, it inhibits it...most people are just too polite to jump in.  They may "click" on it and read out of curiosity...but they move on.

Curiosity racks up a lot of views but a good discussion will encourage increased numbers of responses...and is that not why most of us are here?

Your suggestions re: new topics, conversations and tagging practices are just that...suggestions.  We may possibly decide to use them...then again, we may possibly decide not to.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 67

@Epster wrote:

Keeping @DaveMcK 's reminder about off topic side threads in mind, (http://community.aarp.org/t5/Our-Front-Porch/AARP-S-Private-Messengr-and-how-it-works/m-p/1841658) I've possibly come up with a solution. Here now, the Shoot the Breeze thread to which folks may move their off-topic chatter and finish their conversations without Private Messaging (which some of us do not use) or frustrating other thread participants and clogging up threads.  

Note the use of the words possibly and may. Posters wishing to use another method of moving their off-topic chatter off a thread are free to do so.

As it stands, Froze understands that in future I shall endeavor to move our bursts of meandering musings here to this thread. Any one else who chooses to use this thread in that manner is free to do so. Smiley Happy

Smiley Happy

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 67

The larger point to be made here is that a single user decides something doesn't work and makes ad hoc changes that benefit a specific few without having the courtesy to discuss the change with other users of the forum...particularly the poster with the longest presence and the history of managing the flow of topics under discussion.

Certainly, your newest topic can be used by people who want to engage in long conversations about esoteric matters...but how many of us are here for that anyway?  PMs usually fall into the category of short conversations that would be of no particular interest to the group at large, either.  Posters who desire longer conversations usually resort to exchanging emails and converse without restriction...rendering PM "conversations" moot and generally of short duration.

Tagging is a good thing...but not a necessary tool for the casual user...as most who come here define themselves.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 67

Given that side chatter has been routinely fingered as interrupting the flow of the original topic, as well as confusing and irritating thread participants, moving side chatter somewhere else would be the main idea. Posters preferring to use PMs are free to use that method of moving side chatter off a given thread. Posters not using PMs (I am not the only person here that does not use PMs) may feel free to come here. That being the case, they can tell the other poster(s) that they have moved to Shoot the Breeze, and all that wish to continue the conversation may follow.

Good tagging practices helps others find a thread, so I suggest tagging your post according to your side thread's topic. Perhaps: Shoot the Breeze, crazy stuff I've sold. Or Shoot the Breeze, dogs in boats. Letting the others know you've elected to move the conversation, and including a link will likewise help folks find the new thread.

Kudos
Views