Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Shoot the Breeze

Message 61 of 67

This may be a well-meaning personal solution to your particular problem, but I'm a little uncomfortable with your taking Dave McK's suggestion and turning it on it's head without tossing the idea out to him and the other regular posters to see how they feel about it.

The posts you mentioned regarding prior conversations were generally "side comments"  included after the topic was discussed...comments rather than complete conversations about esoteric matters that go on and on.

If you'd like to discuss a particular topic, there's nothing stopping you from creating one and conversing until you've covered everything there is to know about it and then allow it to move on with dignity to the "old topics" graveyard.  You may then begin anew with something else you think is worthy of discussion...by creating a new and specific topic.

Your plan has been tried before and subjects get "lost" in a general "catch-all" discussion.  People don't know where to find something they are looking for and they don't have the patience to keep looking.

Dave is the virtual "keeper of the flame" here by way of his status as a long-time participant on "Our Front Porch."  His suggestions help keep the flow of traffic running smoothly and efficiently.  I suggest you follow his lead on this to establish a method that will work for the greatest number of discussion participants.

Your personal "principles" may keep you from using PMs but many of us have found the concept quite helpful for off-topic discussions others may have no interest in.  

You take a lot for granted in trying to "solve" your singular issue by attempting to make everyone else adhere to your standards...without getting a general consensus that it will be useful for all.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 67

@ASTRAEA

@Epster

OK two cents on the subject of posts - off topic to main groups.

When I initially came to AARP, 2002-3. Life was a party line on posts.

Afraid I still consider it a one ringy dingy, two ringy dingy party line, like Prospero.

If people don't believe in using PM's, do to personal beliefs or religious upbringing. You converse in plain sight.

At the moment I have feeds on 6 websites and AARP to boot. Still doing the my computer broke on 4 forums, and employment (yuck).

Luckily it's no longer pulling teeth for problems with Windows 3.1 like early AARP.

Most people have discovered more input than my computer doesn't work is needed.

I digress, if topic goes off topic,then what the heck I don't mind following the breadcrumbs trail to another place on AARP, nor should others.Can't put another bookmark on my phone.

Thankfully AARP does have breadcrumb trail to posts. My PM link sometimes disappears from the header on my iPhone (more time on that than laptop at the moment).

So, if anyone wants to appear here no problem.

And now, I need to return to the land of another forum different website, someone's trying to configure a vpn on their computer, Android and iPhone. That's called your computer use can be sold by your ISP new law no more protections, thank you Mr Trump and the GOP.

While someone from 10 years back, former AARP'er needs input on dog calming agent. That will be an email or phone call response. I've known her since my old campers forum on AARP, when she may have been 70.

Where topics ranged from dogs running laps to how to clean my dandy new woodstove - Kimberly in RV.

Closing I promise, my thumbs are getting tired.

Off topic no problem, different area of site no problem. As long as I can find the way back no problem. More people other than 2 no problem. Not a "private" for members only forum no problem.(3 AARP versions ago).

Only problem I have right now is I need to recall which app has my Tapatalk to the VPN query, ah I just remembered that. Multi-tasking thankfully works even through the clutter of my mind.

Frozen

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 67

@ASTRAEA wrote:

I thought the suggestion - for when 2 people got into an extensive discussion between them - that they took it to Private Messages.

Creating your own topic for a conversation between 2 specific people - but doesn't say that - will detract from the official topic in which the group posts regularly.

This post illustrates the point: it is not for two people at all.

Case in point last week three or four thread participants were involved in a days long side conversation about dogs. That could have been moved off the Roll Call thread without disrupting the flow of the original topic. Another case: a few days ago me and a couple others were chatting about vacation ideas. This, too, could have been moved here, had we the option.

Some of us do not use PMs. So this is an alternative. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 67

I thought the suggestion - for when 2 people got into an extensive discussion between them - that they took it to Private Messages.

Creating your own topic for a conversation between 2 specific people - but doesn't say that - will detract from the official topic in which the group posts regularly.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 67

@Frozenoem

Oh gosh, yeah: I have sold such treasures as packing boxes and feed scoops made from vinegar bottles.

I give away a lot, too, though. That barn wood might have brought in a fair penny, but researching the right price point and connecting with a buyer is sometimes more than this introvert wants to do. Those years spent producing and selling farm goods from the domicile probably scarred me forever. I had people walking right into my home at all hours demanding honey or herbs or tours ---always with sickly, grubby toddlers in tow. If the sun was up, I reckon they figured the amusement park that was my farm was receiving visitors.

Anyway, these days I either take the literal tax credit or consider my gifts to strangers part of my tithe. Smiley Happy

That said, boy howdy do I have a lot of stuff Imma gonna sell one day. Smiley Happy I have this circa 1830 corn planter that you have got to see to believe! Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 67

Frozenoem wrote:
@Epster

Geez, I sold my well-weathered pine and hemlock boathouse exterior cladding Around 100 years old, off 10x20 building a lumber company drooled. Didn't keep weather out of boathouse.

2 roofs of galvanized metal sheets went for $5 each piece. 4 Truckloads worth (approx 200 5' x 30" pieces) kept some for backing behind the stove at camp, rest went for not scrap but, decoration in DC and NY apartments. Had I thought of that would have made $$$$.

Last week in Boston saw similar selling at $30 per sheet, at antique shop.

Frozen
@Frozenoem

Sometimes i think we need to start a "Shoot the Breeze" thread wherein we could finish up those thoughts collecting in our noggins without frustrating other thread particiapants.

To that end, I invite you here: http://community.aarp.org/t5/Random-Thoughts-and/Shoot-the-Breeze/m-p/1842324#U1842324

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

Shoot the Breeze

Message 67 of 67

Keeping @DaveMcK 's reminder about off topic side threads in mind, (http://community.aarp.org/t5/Our-Front-Porch/AARP-S-Private-Messengr-and-how-it-works/m-p/1841658) I've possibly come up with a solution. Here now, the Shoot the Breeze thread to which folks may move their off-topic chatter and finish their conversations without Private Messaging (which some of us do not use) or frustrating other thread participants and clogging up threads.  

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies