Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Selling online

Message 1 of 6

The AARP website has some good information for anyone wishing to investigate the ins and outs of selling items online. This will get you started: https://www.aarp.org/money/budgeting-saving/info-10-2012/selling-safely-online-quiz.html#quest1

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

Hi Trisha,

Where are you located?

I need patio furniture for my small terrace.  Do you have something like that?

I live in Winter Haven, FL

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

@s166280s  Well, yes, venting can feel great.  Smiley Happy It sounds like you endured a terrible experience.

In 30 years of selling everything from live animals to a vintage movie set chair to PR services online, I've not had one single problem with a buyer. I did have a shipment of honey disappear, but that was insured, so I didn't lose out and neither did the buyer.

I think it is vital to have good, clear communication between buyer and seller. And like anything else, this may not be something everyone can do.

Best wishes,

Epster

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

My Goodness, have I got a clue for you all. I have never sold anything on line until this Month.  My hubby had bought me a DeLONGHI ESPRESSO MAKER.  I didn't care for it, it was just a little to complicaed for my liking.  He paid around $185.  So I jumped into EBAY to sell my machine. So it went to auction.  One guy bid $74.00.  So I packed it up and sent it to him.  I get a note from him that said he wanted to return it because it didn't work.  I knew it worked because I had tried it one time.  Not only did I send him the machine but I added espresso coffee, that I paid almost $50.  When I ask him why it didn't work, he never commented.  So I waited (this is the way EBAY does it)  So I was opening the box and Lo and behold the water container was broken and I couldn't get it out, he had left dry coffee in the container and we couldn't get it open.  He had scratched  and dented it all over. He finally wrote a note and said that is how it came!!  Of course I knew it hadn't, so I contacted EBAY.  They eventually came to the conclusion to pay me back and he also got the amount he had spent.  I was so mad!!  He didn't deserve to get his back.  I know EBAY paid us back to keep their site up and running!!  Now, if you ask me if I would sell anything again, I have to say NO NO and NO!!  At least EBAY made it right.  Then today I get a bill from them stating I owed $10.90 for the S/H.  I'm so done!!!  Sorry if I offend anyone.  This feels great to vent.  I hope you have better luck with your online selling.  Have a wonderful Sunday afternoon.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

Hi Trish @trish1952 and welcome to the online community. 

Over the years I've sold a boat load of items (arts & crafts, used goods, farm goods, cars, bikes, clothing, furniture) on craigslist.  In case you are unfamiliar, craigslist operates free classified ad websites all over the world. Look for one near you here: https://www.craigslist.org/about/sites

I've bought items from sellers on Etsy, and am about to open up my own page there to sell a bunch of vintage fine china and dinnerware. Here's that site's home page: https://www.etsy.com

One other localized sales opportunity is OfferUp. I've cruised this site, but have neither bought or sold through it. Here's that URL: https://offerupnow.com

Then there's also eBay. I've not sold on that platform, but know others here have, so will let them tell you about it. 

Here's what has worked for me with regards to ads: details, honesty, wit and good photos.

Hope this helps,

Epster

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Selling online

Message 6 of 6

I am downsizing my home and want to sell some items online. I have posted on "Let it go" and facebook and have not sold anything. I believe I am doing some wrong. Any suggestions to help me sell my items? THank you

Trish

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors