From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Restaurant Websites Without Prices

Message 1 of 10

Most restaurateurs don't have a full-time Webmaster. Depending on how well their website is designed, it could be simple to post a new menu/prices, or a hassle. Impossible to tell just from a user's standpoint.

Really expensive restaurants are moving to Tock, the reservation system designed by Grant Achatz, celeb chef of Chicago's Alinea. It is pre-paid, all taxes and gratuity included. 

If you aren't sure about a restaurant's prices, check and see if there's a Zagat.com entry for them. Zagat always lists a general price range so you have an idea of what entrees cost.

The San Francisco Bay Area is very tech-savvy, so virtually all younger restaurateurs post either menus changing monthly or weekly - some even daily - or will just go the easier route of posting a Sample Menu, usually reflecting seasonal changes.

Very costly dishes are sometimes listed as "Market Price".

Dining out is a major hobby for just about everybody out here. Even if a restaurant didn't post prices on the web, word gets out fast what market niche they're aiming at. So diners will always have a rough idea, because the menu will be priced similar to their competition.

Yelpers and Chowhounders scramble to be the first one to review a new restaurant, so nothing is secret.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

Maybe if a restaurant has a menu with some seasonal items, catch of the day or different dish for different nights I could understand why they may not have prices listed for those menu items online.

But as for their other items that are always on the menu I agree with you they should have prices listed. I used to believe if they don’t list their prices they must be a high-end restaurant. Anymore even for carry-out Deli’s with a $10 to $15 sandwich won’t list their prices.

I probably sound like a cheap date now.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

@catwoman500 - To be fair, I checked out at least a dozen restaurants Sunday morning, and only 1 didn't have the prices listed (and unfortunately I can't remember which one).

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

It's odd, I always check out the menus online before I go to a restaurant, but I have never really noticed "prices or no prices." Maybe because I always see prices on the menus I've checked?  I'll have to check that out the next time!

@ASTRAEA, That Pittsburgh place was certainly out of the loop, giving the women the menus with no prices; a practice way too old fashioned!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

@retiredtraveler - The consistently highest rated restaurant in NJ, "Restaurant Nicholas" has a prix fix menu .. and the prices are listed on their website .. and it's definitely expensive! They also list the "dress code" on the website .. they want going there to be a special experience, which usually means no surprises that would detract .. like finding out it's more formal or expensive than people anticipated. Children under 8 aren't permitted in the main dining room!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

@nctarheel - I don't like it, because it implies a snooty attitude, or an inconsiderate one. Either way, if there are other alternatives, those are restaurants I'd just avoid .. unless you could walk by & see the menu WITH prices on it!

On a tangential note, once on a business trip back in the 1980s, I was the senior member of a group picking up the tab, when we reciprocated inviting our vendor's group out for dinner. The place was recommended as an iconic spot with a great view "on the incline" in Pittsburgh. Without knowing who was who, the restaurant gave all the women menus w/o pricing! Talk about archaic; and I had to ask for one with prices anyway, so I'd know how much dinner for about 12 people would cost.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

Of course I don't know for sure, but I would think it's a combination of trying to market the restaurant without revealing prices (to bring in more customers), but also, it may simply be considered 'gauche' to list prices, especially on 'upscale' places.                        

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

@ASTRAEA wrote:

Sometimes restaurants list their complete menu .. but without prices! What do you think about that practice? Do you think it's that they don't feel like having to update the website regularly .. or more likely the attitude that "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it!"?

Some chains list menu items without prices UNTIL you pick a location and then they'll give you the prices because different states, different prices.

But some, as you say, don't list prices at all. I, as does your other poster, am not sure why but I don't like it either.

I am sure some of the higher end restaurants have the attitude of "if you have to ask, go somewhere else".

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

@ASTRAEA wrote:

When I go to the theater with friends, we generally go out for dinner afterwards. With various food concerns these days, it makes sense to check restaurant websites ahead of time, to make sure the diners' needs can be accommodated.

Sometimes restaurants list their complete menu .. but without prices! What do you think about that practice? Do you think it's that they don't feel like having to update the website regularly .. or more likely the attitude that "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it!"?

I don't know but I don't like it !

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Restaurant Websites Without Prices

Message 10 of 10

When I go to the theater with friends, we generally go out for dinner afterwards. With various food concerns these days, it makes sense to check restaurant websites ahead of time, to make sure the diners' needs can be accommodated.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera