Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Purge Your Home of These 9 Things Before You Move (or Anytime!)

Message 1 of 8
I have cleaned out liked I was moving for the last 2 years. That's the only way to get rid of it. I once read, the things you want to leave your kids, they really don't want, so ask and if they don't toss. Many things I don't even ask. I give them to the Purple Heart as my husband was wounded in Viet Nam.
Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Purge Your Home of These 9 Things Before You Move or Anytime!

Message 2 of 8

Sorry, but I am not sure. Please check with your local shelter.

THANKS for thinking of it!

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

Do shelters accept pillows?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

On that note, animal shelter welcome used towels and sheets - for bathing and bedding

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

I coupled a move with my continuing effort to deal with my mom’s possessions, she died a year ago. So yes I know, I should be done with it by now but my mom and dad were collectors of all things - literally. They were antique dealers for more than 65 years. Their house is stack upon stack of precious, not so precious and items that were either unusual or just fun. She loved her “stuff” and as we (2 brothers) try to liquidate we’re trying to respect the mountains of treasures. It’s an overwhelming assignment. In my role I have become an eBay proprietor - who’d have guessed that! I have to say it’s fun. Via email I have met 100s from across the nation, we correspond thru email and I feel some have become friends whom I’d like to personally meet one day. Ebay takes time, there are photos to take, postage to figure out and much more, but I find myself wondering what will I do when the last item is sold .... I have time to figure it out as we think we have another year before our childhood home can be put up for sale. Wow, closing that chapter will be very difficult. I’ll think about it then cause it makes me all weepy to think about it now.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

I'm looking into moving into a CCRC (Continuing Care Retirement Community) - one of those that has homes, apartments and assisted living facilities all on one campus along with a community dining room, walking trails, arts and craft room, library, clinic, beauty salon, garden club, pool, tennis court, etc. - by 2020, so have started going through each of the rooms in my current home looking to downsize my possessions.

You mentioned linens. I've kept up with buying new bath towels, sheets, pillow protectors, etc., but I have noticed some people don't replace their pillows as often as they should. I bought 2 new pillows last year for one bed, then 2 more this year for the other. What a difference!

Since I don't have kids, or a husband, it will just be me, but I'd like either a 2BR or 1BR with a den, since I do like to have a separate office space for my computer and I do like to work on various crafts - fabric painting (aprons, tote bags, etc.), floral arrangements, wreaths, swags, gift baskets, etc. Still, I'm trying to be heartless when I do through my items since I have no one to leave them to. My problem is, there are many items I don't want to donate, so I'm looking into either selling online or paying a commission to someone to hold an auction or take on consignment. Any ideas here?

Cee
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

Number one

Old linens

When's the last time you bought new towels? If it's the last time you moved, turn those suckers into rags and buy something new. After years of use and hundreds of washings, there's no denying your fluffy bath towels have lost some of their plushness.

Ditch old bed sheets, too. Fitted sheets lose their elasticity over time, and exposure to sweat and oil can cause unpleasant stains.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Purge Your Home of These 9 Things Before You Move (or Anytime!)

Message 8 of 8

Purge Your Home of These 9 Things Before You Move (or Anytime)

A new home means a fresh start: new paint, a new bedroom, even a fresh take on arranging your old furniture.

But your new space won't feel so wonderful if it's weighed down with junk you didn't bother ditching during the move. Now's the time to purge your home—and we're not talking about just sifting through stacks of magazines while you binge on Netflix.

"Your possessions should have three purposes: function, aesthetic purpose, or sentimental value," says Christina Giaquinto, a professional organizer in Franklin Lakes, NJ. "Pick up each item in your home, and ask yourself, 'Why do I have this item? What does this item do for me?'"

https://www.realtor.com/advice/move/purge-your-home-before-move

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season