Science is honing in on better ways to treat chronic pain. Read about it in this AARP series.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Peer Pressure - did it make or mar your future?

Message 21 of 24

I worked at a company that definitely had "cliques."  I knew my what my job was and kept my nose to the grindstone!  Once they hired a temporary worker to help in the summer and this clique refused to help her or teach her the right way or even invite her to have lunch with them.  I tried to help her out when I could and invited her to eat with me.  Unfortunately, she did not last long at the company.  I would never treat a person the way she had been treated.  I have always tried to be inclusive with people and treat them as I wanted to be treated. Eventually the "clique' broke up, as some left the company.  Although I did not like how they treated this person, I still treated them with respect, and when they saw I wouldn't put up with it, they reciprocated.  I have stayed this way all my life and I don't treat people different because of their race, religion or status in life. To me there is only one race-the human race.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 24
I never experienced peer pressure growing up or as an adult because I always believe in just doing me. I was never bothered by what the others were doing or not doing. I grew up in a large family and didn't have time to be anyone but who I am. I teach my children and grandchildren to NOT follow the crowd UNLESS the crowd is running AWAY from trouble, AWAY from a fire, and so forth. I told them to always think for themselves and go with their instincts. If they make a mistake, so what, keep pushing forward and never be anyone other than who GOD created them to be...themselves for we each have gifts to share with the others on Planet Earth, and it's boring to copy one another. JUST DO YOU FOLKS! <3 Smiley Happy
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 24

I was never one to follow the crowd or motivated to do this or that based on what others were doing.  I always, well at least as far back as I can remember, had a clear set of goals and objectives for how I wanted my life to go.  And although I saw some of my youthful friends doing things that took their lives in perilous directions, I kept my sails up and moved forward on the currents toward the fulfillment of my life's dreams. 

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Peer Pressure - did it make or mar your future?

Message 24 of 24

Peer pressure: did it make or mar your future?  Do you remember a great story to share about peer pressure?

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies