If you suspect you're a scam target, AARP's fraud helpline is here for you. Learn more.

Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Over 55 apartment complexes

Message 1 of 2

So, here is my experience. I moved to a 55+ apartment community one year ago this month.

I love, love my space. 1 bedroom, no upstairs neighbor, it's kinda a four-plex in a quad figure with garage and utility space between, so not many common shared walls; noise level low. Garage leads right into my space so no obvious security issues (I work 12 hours/day most days so dark when leaving/arriving home from work).

This community has pool, fitness (with major current equipment), etc. (no wine club but best wine and liquor store in Nevada walking distance through back gate Smiley Wink and internet access in the business center (as far as I know, Residents have access at the business center 24/7, but that would have to be verified).

The downside is I didn't read the lease, just signed; found there are (may be) charges I didn't know about until I was charged (e.g, obligated to pay water charges set rate no matter how many people live in the unit; obligated to pay waste removal (trash) even if using another option (work traded for trash disposal). So my caution is read the entire lease document at least 45 days prior to move in (to have escape plan and look for another place). My own experience was I trusted business to be honest and forth-coming; that is not what I found.

Also, as an aside, check the different State Medicate options, via AARP.com. They have great information, and since that cost is part of our life in Retirement, very important in calclating cost of living in different cities/states.

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Over 55 apartment complexes

Message 2 of 2

Has anyone here sold your home and moved into one of these over 55 apartments, with a pub or wine  bar, fitness center, and lots of amenities?  I'm getting tempted, but probably could not afford to buy another house once I sell this one.  I'm sure interested in less upkeep and more time to make friends.  Any experience with this, or advice?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies