Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: New Year ... New _________________

Message 1 of 16

@AARPTeri wrote:

Fill in the blank.  What is something new you are planning in 2019?

New Year, New "Do!"   Though I hate to admit it, I've had the same boring hairdo since 2006.  That's the year my most favorite hairdresser retired after having been my hair stylist for almost thirty years.  I stopped going to the hairdresser after that.  Oh, I tried "one" time to go to another stylist and was sorerly disappointed with her service and haven't gone again since.  But this year, I hope to get that "new do!"  Hopefully!  Maybe.

Related image

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 16

DEGREE

SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: New Year ... New _________________ and "This Chair Rocks"...

Message 3 of 16

@Calhounwoman - I grew up in a household where "failure wasn't an option", especially when it came to being a caregiver .. nor was it optional! I actually think that being a caregiver for 3 years made me even more grateful, when I no longer had to do that, than then I stopped working in the corporate world.

I've been involved with several organizations since I retired, and "fixing things" is a fun challenge for me. But I'm learning that everyone has different motivation to be in volunteer groups, and I've got to extract myself, if I realize that too many people either don't want to do the work, or they want what's best for themselves personally .. rather than for the organization itself.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: New Year ... New _________________ and "This Chair Rocks"...

Message 4 of 16

Hi, ASTRAEA!  Wow!!! Excellent point.  I've always had a well balanced life (meaning a life away from work).  My challenge now is cultivating a quality of life in moderation.

I've had to actually give up/let go some of the people in my life that I've know for decades.  My life is not a competitive sport.  Aaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!  I was so niave; I didn't my personal life choices were being valued/devalued/judged by some unspoken guideline measurement.  However, once I figured out what was happenening, self preservation kicked in.  I did what I had to do to keep "Me" being "Me".

I also understand what it's like to be a caregiver for a loved one and to "inherit" those who need caring for.  Yes...caregiving is WORK.  Do you ever look back on those days and shake your head in amazement that you actually pulled it off?  Our capacity for careing is so astoundingly awesome.

Thank you for your insight!

Fey Lady
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 16

@Calhounwoman - I'm reading a book now titled "This Chair Rocks: A Manifesto Against Ageism". One of the points the author makes, is that it's descriminatory & damaging to always put the highest achievers on a pedestal, so that all retirees feel they should be "accomplishing" all that .. to have a 2nd job, volunteer at 2 or 3 organizations, and become competitive senior athletes.

I retired in 2002 at 50. I hadn't planned that, but my Mom became terminally ill, and then I "inherited" her older sister. I could afford to stop working, and knew I'd never be able to juggle a demanding job, while getting my aunt to medical appointments & spend social time with her. Since my first 3 years were so busy that way, I guess I didn't "feel retired", or miss working. I WAS working .. but at home!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 16

Accept that I can't and shouldn't "do it all" just because I can.

I retired from punching someone else's clock in March 2015; I'm still in the Retirement Lifestyle Honeymoon phase.  I'm trying to figure out and define those interests that are most important and focus (quality over quantity) on them.  I burned out the first year doing anything and everything I wanted...because I could.  I found out that just because I had more time didn't necessarily mean that I should be all over the place.  In addition to my other travels last year,  I also realized a long dreamed goal of visiting Asia (specifically Bangkok and Singapore).  It was fun, but exhausting!  I ain't no Spring Chicken, and I can't burn this candle at both ends like I used to, and you know what?  I don't want to.  Reality check realized!

Until there is a Retirement Lifestyle 101 course, I'm in for a steep learning curve.  I'm up for the challenge!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

Fey Lady
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 16

Congratulations on your up coming surgery .Yes your life will change for the better. Happy New New Year!.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 16

Share the good news of the Christ's coming, life, death, burial, and resurrection.  Travel to a country I haven't been. Do some woodworking projects for my family. Travel to some of the States I haven't been and do some geocaching.  Serve and support others. Help people feel better about themselves.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 16
Ohio State National Championship "Go Buckeyes"
Kudos
Views