Medicare open enrollment has begun! Learn all about it in AARP's guide to Medicare made easy.

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: New To Being Old

Message 11 of 17

Hi, I'm new, too.  Still trying to figure out the message boards.  Smiley Happy  

I'm in Maryland, near DC.  Nice to meet you all.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 17

Newbie here.   Joined just a few days ago after I turned 50. I'm learning where everthing is on this website and trying to read about everything it offers.  Any help and guidance is welcome!  Happy New year everyone!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 17

I am also a newbie here and have no real clue where to look or what to look for regarding whatever benefits I may get by joining up with AARP. All paid up for a year now, so I look forward to hearing from others about what they have learned regarding what we as newbies are supposed to be doing and what to do around here.

Any practical advice will be gladly accepted!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 17

Hi Donna,

I'm Michael from Columbus, Ohio.  Like you, Henry and Soosie, I'm new to being old as well.  Just turned 65, had a heart attack back in April and I'm now having to understand that I can't do the stuff I was physically capable of (I'm still mentally in my 20's), just a few months (years) ago. 

Take advantage of the Senior discounts, you have earned them. I recently asked for and received a disability placard for my car and I don't always use the parking spaces reserved, but when I do I appreciate that they are there.

I know there are groups who serve senior social needs, but I haven't availed myself of them (yet). Something I probably should be sooner than later.  But social media has been a revelation - those high school classmates of mine - they got old too.  So far we have only conversed via Facebook, but the reconnection process takes a while (I was the class loner who never seemed to fit in), in retrospect, it seems that we had hidden part of ourselves away from our classmates all those years ago.

Peace and Blessings,

Michael

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 17

Hello and welcome :-) 

Well, I say welcome but I am extremely new to this forum area. I've been a member for a few years but just never ventured out from there. 'Not even sure what happened to the couple of pictures i tried to post? :-)

Anywho, in regards to your post... One thing i've discovered is... You know your getting older when the size of your Alieve bottle increases... hehe Hope you're having a Merry Christmas and all the best!

Henry

Henry Hilson
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 17
Hi Donna,

Your heading caught my eye. It is strange to hit the age where discounts apply. I find it even nicer if the clerk waits for me to tell them I am this old. I think I look my age, but know I don't act it.

I have continued to work because I am fortunate to work for a great IT company. My job leaves me flexible. Just as long as I have a laptop, I can work from any location. My little secret is that I am the oldest one of 500 plus employees. When I was caught in a downsizing and was past the usual retirement age, I thought my work career was over. I spent a year doing volunteer work, getting my insurance license, doing crafts and being available when my Mother became very ill. I was able to care for her in her final days in the hospital.

Then, my break came. An internal recruiter from this company called me and said I have skills they need. I could not wait to interview, but was a bit scared because of my age. I got the job 6 years ago and love it.

I hope to return to school one more time to get something for my actual retirement time should I reach a point of doing this. For now, I am happy, challenged, and love my life. My son tells me he is so proud of his fiesty Mom.

Soosie
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views
Replies

New To Being Old

Message 17 of 17

Just wanted to introduce myself because I just signed up.  Its strange to hit the age where Senior discounts are starting to apply. Never figured on getting old and never plan on growing up. BTW I'm Donna from California.

Don't sweat the petty things
Just pet the sweaty things:
Kudos
Views
Replies