Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Never too late to achieve a goal, share with us what you have accomplished.

Message 21 of 30

@HammH wrote:

I switched up my diet and got my blood sugar down below prediabetes this year . I'm proud that I kept it low .

@HammH Awesome goal!  

As you know, DH worked hard on changing his blood chemistry this summer as well. I am happy to share with this community that he has successfully brought all aspects into the 'optimal' range. Rah!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 30

@nyadrn wrote:

@Epster wrote:

>>

Yes, I know that not everyone who has a stroke is going to be able to achieve what my friend is. That's no reason not to celebrate this man's achievements. He sets lofty goals and he just keeps reaching for them. He may not beat me in a race, but he can kick my butt in the tenacity department. And I'm nothing if not tenacious. Smiley Happy

This man certainly is deserving of admiration.  

My comment to the originator of this topic is to remind her and everyone else, that there are many goals besides the big achievements and everyone is deserving of admiration for trying to achieve their goals no matter what they are.  Physical goals are only one type in this world.  

@nyadrn OK. But the original post says:

"82 year old completes the Applachain Trail, oldest person to do so.  Great stories like this are worth sharing, do you have one or something you are working towards?  Tell us.

AARPTeri" (emphasis mine)

I don't see how that excludes anyone's goals. It asks what goals have you reached, what goals are you working on without assigning value to or judging people's goals. Goals are goals, right? That's my read anyway.  Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 30

@Epster wrote:

>>

Yes, I know that not everyone who has a stroke is going to be able to achieve what my friend is. That's no reason not to celebrate this man's achievements. He sets lofty goals and he just keeps reaching for them. He may not beat me in a race, but he can kick my butt in the tenacity department. And I'm nothing if not tenacious. Smiley Happy

This man certainly is deserving of admiration.  

My comment to the originator of this topic is to remind her and everyone else, that there are many goals besides the big achievements and everyone is deserving of admiration for trying to achieve their goals no matter what they are.  Physical goals are only one type in this world.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 30

I switched up my diet and got my blood sugar down below prediabetes this year . I'm proud that I kept it low .

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 30

Everyone has things they have achieved and are proud of.  I see them every day. They are often unobserved and little celebrated but more profound for being such. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 30

One of my dear recumbent racing friends was hit by a car while he was riding his bike. This occured decades back while he was stationed abroad. About a decade ago he suffered a near-fatal stroke that was a direct result of this accident, and was unable to tend to the rudiments of self-care. Through dedication to excruciatingly difficult work, he was able to walk, to dress himself, to talk. He still uses a cane, is still wobbly on his feet, sometimes does not type or speak the words he intends, and does not have absolute control of his motor skills. And none of that matters to anyone who knows and loves him because he has such an excellent heart.

He's been riding recumbent trike with a disabled vets group a couple times a week for a number of years. He now helps other vets with their rehabilitation efforts. Last year I roped him into racing at the Huntsman World Senior Games. AARP Colorado did a great story about him after he won his first gold medals at those Senior Games.

He turns 70 next year. We are now cooking up plans for him to race in multiple states, where he intends to win a bunch more gold medals. 

The tenacity of this man inspires me greatly.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 30

@nyadrn  I agree: achievements take many forms!  Do you have an achievement you'd like to share with us? Inspire us!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 30

AARPTeri wrote:

82 year old completes the Applachain Trail, oldest person to do so.  Great stories like this are worth sharing, do you have one or something you are working towards?  Tell us.

I assume you realize that for some seniors, taking one step after a stroke is a bigger achievement than many will ever make.  Achievements take many forms!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 30

I enjoy stories of seniors working to achieve a goal. I find it immensely inspiring, which is why I post so frequently about senior athletes. Smiley Happy

But to answer the question: Both DH and have I earned 11 gold medals (for 22 total) in the past 53 weeks since we began racing recumbent trikes.

We have set or broken course records in each of our races.

We are just back from a 5 mile walk in which we made plans for how to improve for the next racing season. (More cardio! Smiley Happy)

Also, together, we have lost 70 pounds in the past 2 plus years. Most of that came off my lard ar-, er, behind. Smiley Happy

But the biggest thing we feel we accomplished this year is in getting more and more state level senior games to offer recumbent racing. Yay! Racing for everyone! Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Never too late to achieve a goal, share with us what you have accomplished.

Message 30 of 30

82 year old completes the Applachain Trail, oldest person to do so.  Great stories like this are worth sharing, do you have one or something you are working towards?  Tell us.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies