Rethink your job search and find opportunities for experienced workers with AARP’s job board.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Never too late to achieve a goal, share with us what you have accomplished.

Message 11 of 30

I have always had a love for books, as did most of my family.  My father and I sold books at flea markets for great prices (25-50 cents for paperbacks, $1 for hardcovers) and we did this for over 30 years helping people find books and authors they loved.  In addition, we sold comic books and our little business (yes we paid taxes on it) kept my Dad and Mom going in their retirement years and I learned a lot about running a business.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 30

That is wonderful. Keep up the great work.  It is so nice to hear about someone achieving their goals. You are definitely an inspiration.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 30

When younger, I attended the B Western cowboy movies and always dreamed of being in a movie. Then, while teaching at the University level after I retired, the students suggested that I should be on stage or in a movie.  Last year, thanks to my agent, I got cast in the Spiderman:Homecoming movie as Mr. Hapgood, the high school teacher. Since then, I was cast in another movie St. Agatha that will be available in early 2018. In addition, I have been in 5 plays at the local theatre in Cartersville, Ga. What a joy to have achieved these goals!!

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 30

@kshah008 wrote:

Hi all,

This thread is starting to get off-topic. While you may have different opinions, please remember to be respectful of one another as our guidelines state: This is a diverse community of people with diverse opinions. It is up to each of us to be polite and treat each other with respect.

You can read the full guidelines here: http://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines

Thanks and happy posting!

Thank you!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 30

Hi all,

This thread is starting to get off-topic. While you may have different opinions, please remember to be respectful of one another as our guidelines state: This is a diverse community of people with diverse opinions. It is up to each of us to be polite and treat each other with respect.

You can read the full guidelines here: http://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines

Thanks and happy posting!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 30

@nyadrn wrote:

I have been posting here for years. I do not need assistance, interpretation or direction. I am not sure why you think I do.  You have expressed your opinion. I have expressed mine.  There you go. 

@nyadrn  The OP has fewer than 1,500 posts to your nearly 36,000 posts, which is why I am surprised that you do not simply start a thread about the types of goals you wish to see elevated.  

Not, mind you, that I think this is necessary. I think this thread includes those types of goals. Read through previous posts to see two users talking about achieving their health goals (blood sugar and composition).

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 30

@Epster wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@Epster wrote:

@nyadrn OK. But the original post says:

"82 year old completes the Applachain Trail, oldest person to do so.  Great stories like this are worth sharing, do you have one or something you are working towards?  Tell us.

AARPTeri" (emphasis mine)

I don't see how that excludes anyone's goals. It asks what goals have you reached, what goals are you working on without assigning value to or judging people's goals. Goals are goals, right? That's my read anyway.  Smiley Happy

I am waiting to see a topic like this use a goal example that is not about activity.  There are countless others that could be used.  In any case I will wait to see a response from the party I addressed it to.  

@nyadrn  I understand. Of course there's no need to wait: you could start that thread. 

@on the 'I wasn't talking to you' thing, oh, well, without an @reply, your intent to direct a post to a specific user gets lost. Without that sort of clarification we are all talking to everyone. It's like the Borg or a beehive. Again, my take. Smiley Happy

You are totally missing the point. You are not an AARP admin.

I have been posting here for years. I do not need assistance, interpretation or direction. I am not sure why you think I do.  You have expressed your opinion. I have expressed mine.  There you go. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 30

@nyadrn wrote:

@Epster wrote:

"82 year old completes the Applachain Trail, oldest person to do so.  Great stories like this are worth sharing, do you have one or something you are working towards?  Tell us.

I don't see how that excludes anyone's goals. It asks what goals have you reached, what goals are you working on without assigning value to or judging people's goals. Goals are goals, right? That's my read anyway.  Smiley Happy

I am waiting to see a topic like this use a goal example that is not about activity.  There are countless others that could be used.  In any case I will wait to see a response from the party I addressed it to.  

@nyadrn  I understand. Of course there's no need to wait: you could start that thread. 

@on the 'I wasn't talking to you' thing, oh, well, without an @reply, your intent to direct a post to a specific user gets lost. Without that sort of clarification we are all talking to everyone. It's like the Borg or a beehive. Again, my take. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 30

Epster wrote:

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 30

Here's the story about the 82-year-old who completed the Appalacian Trail, and is the oldest person on record to have done so.

https://www.aarp.org/home-family/friends-family/info-2017/appalachian-trail-record-fd.html

Kudos
Views