Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: My gardens and the local food bank

Message 1 of 4

Woohoo!  Another 28 pounds to the food bank this week.  That's 46 pounds, so far!

Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

These are such positive and joyful sharings!

If you have time or can cook extra, healthy and homemade meals are always nice to share with the families of hospice in-patients. There are often shared food areas and it can be hard to eat a good dose of fresh veggies if you are sitting bedside. I recalled being felt cared-for to find a lovely note and a massive serving dish with simply-seasoned and grilled fresh veg.

if a local university has a Campus Kitchen program, they will happily glean and prep food for weekly meals for AIDS Care and Meals on Wheels.  

~SL
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

I am familiar with a number of churches that have gardens that are tended by volunteers with the express purpose of donating the food. It's a great idea.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

My gardens and the local food bank

Message 4 of 4

I grow lots of food here in the Shenandoah Valley. I have two very large vegetable gardens plus a third large garden dedicated solely to herbs.

I always grow more than I can use or process, so I donate the extra vegetables to the local food bank.  Last year, I donated 70 pounds of squash, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, and a few other items.  This past Monday, I dropped off my first intallment of the year--18 pounds of yellow squash and zucchini--really nice tender ones!  Overall, this year, I'm hoping to donate at least 100 pounds. Plus, if I can get to the peaches before the deer eat them all, I can add those to the donations.

I've also expanded my herb garden.  So when I go in again on Monday, I'll see if they accept herbs or some of the teas I make from apple mint, chocolate mint, and peppermint.  If so, I'll be drying lots of mint soon!  I bought a food dryer just for that purpose and it's been fantastic.

If you grow things and tend to have extra, please consider bringing some to your local food bank if they accept vegetables from local growers.  A lot of people out there are truly in need.

Kudos
Views
Replies