Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Michelle Carter guilty in texting suicide case

Message 1 of 13

"....Have you ever watched the TV show Catfish...".

No. I'm aware of it, but as I've written in the past, I have no interest in watching 'reality' shows of any kind and little interest in watching American TV in general.  I get enough reality with being a news junkie.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 13

@retiredtraveler wrote:

"....Signs of depression - sleeping, eating, isolation, changes from normal self

Talks about suicide or the pain of living

giving away possessions

things that seemed to be bothering him or he was fixated upon

Other signs of mental illness....".

This is a recent article. There are many articles, written over the past several years, that suggest that social media is the major contributing factor to the large rise in teen depression. There appears to be a link of heavy phone use to mental illness of some degree or another. Of course, it's controversial, but I believe it. Studies show girls are more affected as they spend more time on phones than boys.

Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation? - The Atlantic

Have you ever watched the TV show Catfish.   All of the participants have been "in a relationship" via social media and have never met. Sometimes these are years long relationships.  They are traumatized when they find that the other person is not who they pretended to be

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 13

"....Signs of depression - sleeping, eating, isolation, changes from normal self

giving away possessions

Other signs of mental illness....".

This is a recent article. There are many articles, written over the past several years, that suggest that social media is the major contributing factor to the large rise in teen depression. There appears to be a link of heavy phone use to mental illness of some degree or another. Of course, it's controversial, but I believe it. Studies show girls are more affected as they spend more time on phones than boys.

Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation? - The Atlantic

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 13

@GailL1 wrote:

nyadm wrote

I am curious as to what type of monitoring of this 18 year old you think the parents could have done?

--------------------------------------------------------

Signs of depression - sleeping, eating, isolation, changes from normal self

giving away possessions

Other signs of mental illness 

I thought I read somewhere that he had tried suicide before.

That's a big signal - was he under the care of a mental health professional - psychiatrist would be the best but with other supportive care.

You are right, he was 18 so perhaps others in addition to his parents might have seen or heard some signs - like Miss Carter - she and perhaps others too might have seen signs but they might not have rung a bell.

Handling this sort of situation is difficult but not impossible.  My father ignored a lot about my mother until other people started to step in to force action.  The action calmed the situation away from life or death but it always had to be closely watched - harming themselves or harming others.

Wonder if his text to Miss Carter had instead threatened harm to her rather than himself - if she would have handled it differently.  

Good points about the parents..  but Miss Carter was not in the dark.  He repeatedly told her he was going to kill himself and she repeatedly told him to  basically quit stalling and get it over with.  

If he threatened her instead of herself, there would be no pay off for her and it is likely she would have taken different actions.  

Sad.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 13

@gatorgorilla wrote:

@retiredtraveler  I agree with what you've posted, except for your final statement:  "To think that someone would react so strongly to words on a device is not understandable to me."

If a person is emotionally entangled enough with another, I think it is quite possible to imagine that exchanged words, in whatever manner conveyed, could cause a strong, even extreme, reaction.  

Unfortunately, not everyone is mature/rational in handling their emotions.

I do not admire whatever emotion compelled the girlfriend to say what she did.  To me, she comes across as cruel and callous.  It is a mortal shame that he managed to fall under her influence.

But what do I know?  In the media, she is coming across as the more disturbed, and disturbing, of these two individuals.  We will never know how convoluted their relationship actually was - we might be astounded if we knew all the facts about him, in particular.

Thus said, I guess I will be lucky if one of our devoted AARP posters doesn't rip into my post.  

I think it is pretty apparent that they both had/have serious issues and you are correct that she is also disturbed.  Likely what drew them together but made them such toxic friends.  If you read the text messages between them, neither sound like "normal".

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 13

nyadm wrote

I am curious as to what type of monitoring of this 18 year old you think the parents could have done?

--------------------------------------------------------

Signs of depression - sleeping, eating, isolation, changes from normal self

giving away possessions

Other signs of mental illness 

I thought I read somewhere that he had tried suicide before.

That's a big signal - was he under the care of a mental health professional - psychiatrist would be the best but with other supportive care.

You are right, he was 18 so perhaps others in addition to his parents might have seen or heard some signs - like Miss Carter - she and perhaps others too might have seen signs but they might not have rung a bell.

Handling this sort of situation is difficult but not impossible.  My father ignored a lot about my mother until other people started to step in to force action.  The action calmed the situation away from life or death but it always had to be closely watched - harming themselves or harming others.

Wonder if his text to Miss Carter had instead threatened harm to her rather than himself - if she would have handled it differently.  

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 13

@retiredtraveler  I agree with what you've posted, except for your final statement:  "To think that someone would react so strongly to words on a device is not understandable to me."

If a person is emotionally entangled enough with another, I think it is quite possible to imagine that exchanged words, in whatever manner conveyed, could cause a strong, even extreme, reaction.  

Unfortunately, not everyone is mature/rational in handling their emotions.

I do not admire whatever emotion compelled the girlfriend to say what she did.  To me, she comes across as cruel and callous.  It is a mortal shame that he managed to fall under her influence.

But what do I know?  In the media, she is coming across as the more disturbed, and disturbing, of these two individuals.  We will never know how convoluted their relationship actually was - we might be astounded if we knew all the facts about him, in particular.

Thus said, I guess I will be lucky if one of our devoted AARP posters doesn't rip into my post.  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 13

@retiredtraveler wrote:

"...It it is not only "interesting" in respect to the legality but almost beyond comprehension in respect to her actions....".

As a smart phone Luddite, and one who will only text to get directions or to make plans to meet someone, it's all beyond my comprehension. I am totally unable to understand cyber bullying, people thinking they are 'conversing' via text, or people thinking they are communicating 'feelings' through texting. None of it makes sense to me We have a society full of people who won't talk to one another, but think they are having 'relationships' with people via social media.

To think that someone would react so strongly to words on a device is not understandable to me. 

All I can say is that the world for the younger people has changed tremendously. I don't understand it either.  I love FB and much of social media but as an addition to my live social interations not a replacement.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 13

@GailL1 wrote:

I find it shocking that a young man who was evidently contemplating suicide rather continuously, was not monitored closer by a caring adult - perhaps a parent.

Miss Carter evidently filled the void for him in talking to someone.  Problem was, she was not helpful - and seems to have some problems of her own since she did nothing to help this young man.

I hear that using social media allows people to say things that they would not say to a person in face to face conversation.  So to me, texting is dangerous when it is used for sharing in place of face to face.

What people say can have a detrimental on another person, no matter how it is communicated, especially if that person has some problems.  

Didn't Miss Carter get about 15 months in jail ?

What exactly was the charge?

Yes  2 and 1/2 years with probation at 15 months, involuntary manslaughter, but she is out on appeal.

TAUNTON, Mass. — For a case that had played out in thousands of text messages, what made Michelle Carter’s behavior a crime, a judge concluded, came in a single phone call. Just as her friend Conrad Roy III stepped out of the truck he had filled with lethal fumes, Ms. Carter told him over the phone to get back in the cab and then listened to him die without trying to help him.

That command, and Ms. Carter’s failure to help, said Judge Lawrence Moniz of Bristol County Juvenile Court, made her guilty of involuntary manslaughter in a case that had consumed New England, left two families destroyed and raised questions about the scope of legal responsibility. >>

The judge’s decision, handed down on Friday, stunned many legal experts with its conclusion that words alone could cause a suicide.

“This is saying that what she did is killing him, that her words literally killed him, that the murder weapon here was her words,” said Matthew Segal, a lawyer with the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts, which raised concerns about the case to the state’s highest court. “That is a drastic expansion of criminal law in Massachusetts.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/us/suicide-texting-trial-michelle-carter-conrad-roy.html

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 13

I find it shocking that a young man who was evidently contemplating suicide rather continuously, was not monitored closer by a caring adult - perhaps a parent.

Miss Carter evidently filled the void for him in talking to someone.  Problem was, she was not helpful - and seems to have some problems of her own since she did nothing to help this young man.

I hear that using social media allows people to say things that they would not say to a person in face to face conversation.  So to me, texting is dangerous when it is used for sharing in place of face to face.

What people say can have a detrimental on another person, no matter how it is communicated, especially if that person has some problems.  

Didn't Miss Carter get about 15 months in jail ?

What exactly was the charge?

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views