Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Keeping a positive attitude about aging

Message 11 of 32

@nyadrnI hope so too.  I am focused on making that happen.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 32

@nyadrnThank you.  I just figured out what you said.  I love learning new things.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 32

@chkntza Well huzzbah to you! Good going; glad you feel like like is getting better. Here's hoping that feeling never goes away and that your every tomorrow has at least one beautiful moment. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 32

@chkntza wrote:

Thank you very much!  I love your attittude.  I have started doing many of those things and life keeps getting better all the time.

Hi @chkntza  

@Just wanted to point out that if you use the @and the person's id, you can respond back to the person whose post you are referring to and they will know you did.  Just thought you might want to know.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 32

Thank you very much!  I love your attittude.  I have started doing many of those things and life keeps getting better all the time.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 32

First of all, realize it is INEVITABLE.....nothing you can do will turn back the clock.  Be happy that you can relax and not have to dash off to work every morning (after getting hubby, kids up and ready for the day and feeding them, along with your pets).  No more dashes to the supermarket after work then rushing home to cook, clean, feed pets (again), take the dog for a walk and clean the litterbox (again).  I will never forget the day my incorrigible cairn terrier decided to take off for a run and had me chasing him all around the neighborhood early one AM when I had to be at work by 7:30 AM.  I made it - don't know how!  Yes, remember those days???  Do all you can to keep up with your health; stay in touch with other seniors, share your funny stories (we all have them) and smile at the people you see each day.  Think about the funny stories from back in the day you prefer to keep private (we all have them) and laugh a little to yourself.  The best part of being older of course is grandchildren......spend as much time as you can with them and cherish all those moments.  Babysit for your grandchildren and grandpets.  I recently had a wonderful time babysitting my daughter's Cane Corso Mastiff for two weeks.....what a lovely animal!  Oh, yes and know when to stop talking (like now?).  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 32

Thank you very much.  I'm getting much better at it.  Hearing from people out there really helps and I appreciate all the support.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 32

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@chkntza - It would help if you were more specific about your fears. I think it helps to take a rational approach; first separate fears into ones over which you have no control, and into ones which you do have control .. then plan a course of action for the potential problems over which you do have control.

So if one fear is being sick, take a good look at your current physical condition .. diet, exercise, health, and see what you can start doing to improve that. If it's where you live & being independent, think about whether you should downsize, move to a more senior-friendly area, be near friends & family, etc.

If it's something over which you/we have no control, don't let that sap your energy .. take up yoga or meditation!

Astraea makes a great point.  Action lessens fear.  Much of fear is the feeling of helplessness.  Identifying your fears and doing something helps to give you back your power and control.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 32

To fear "getting old" is like fearing the next sunrise. It's gonna happen, and there's no stopping it. Just wu wei it, dude.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 32

Is there such a thing as an online forum where people support each other when they get feelings of fear to help calm down?

Kudos
Views