WATCH NOW: Iowa presidential candidate forum from Council Bluffs. Appearing: Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. 

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: It's a day on, not a day off!

Message 1 of 4

Service in the honor of social justice can be rendered anywhere in the world. I am in Mexico where hundreds of thousands of U.S. born children now live; the majority without their U.S. birth certificates and apostles.  As a result, they are unable to attend school, receive social services and - within 6 months of leaving the U.S. for any reason - become Stateless indiividuals.  Some of us here have joined together with Mexicans to assist these children in obtaining their credentials so that they can receive access to dual citizenship and become educated and capable adolescents and adults.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

On MLK Day as a volunteer I have been working on a program for the Hausbarn Heritage Park in Manning, Iowa.  In June we will be presenting a program concerning the KKKs in 1920.  MLK pointed out that the Negroes were the only imigrants to be made slaves in the United States.  History always needs to be reviewed so we can appreciate how far we have come and how far we still need to go.  Volunteer work is the same.  It always needs to be reviewed so we can appreciate how far we have come and how far we still need to go!   Thank you to AARP and all you have helped us with!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

DW and I volunteer regularly. Nothing extra or different for MLK day. 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

It's a day on, not a day off!

Message 4 of 4

n the mid-90s, the slogan “A Day On, Not a Day Off” was promoted to push the importance of service on MLK Day.  Do you volunteer or serve on this day?  If so, where do you volunteer?

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies