If you suspect you're a scam target, AARP's fraud helpline is here for you. Learn more.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: If you could have anyone attend your next birthday who would it be?

Message 81 of 92

@nyadrn, the rock and roll is definitely high on my list for pure fun...I think I would take Bono & John Lennon for conversation...I might add them to that big group I invited to my birthday dinner party!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 82 of 92

I love the variety in responses.  

My parents would trump everyone else for sure.  

Ouside of family, boy it would be hard to pick one.  Maybe that heavenly rock and roll band could invite me to a concert!

Live would be Steven Tyler and the rest of the band.   Adam Levine could be a close second ha!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 83 of 92

A birthday celebration is anything the celebrant wants it to be.  It doesn't sound so odd to have a macro-economist at one's birthday party.  One of my kids is an economist...they can be quite fun and some of them really know how to party!

Having a great conversation with someone you'd like to meet isn't exactly "picking his brain."  It can be very enjoyable on both sides...lighting up both participants with the joy of shared interests.

@Epster, I don't remember the OP setting parameters for the types of responses we were allowed to give.  A spirited conversation among a variety of posters who feel they have something to contribute is the usually the best determinant of whether a thread is successful or dies "on the vine."  Unless the posts are in violation of the TOS, all responses should be welcomed for whatever they add to the conversation and all posters should be encouraged to participate.  JMO.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 84 of 92

@retiredtraveler wrote:

Ok. For the serious nerdy answer: Joseph Stiglitz. 

He is a macro economist (an area I'm interested in), has won countless awards and honorary degrees, considered one of the most influential people in the world.

More specifically, he writes about income inequality, educational inequality, asset risk management, corporate governance, et. al. 

I know --- it puts everyone else to sleep. I get into this stuff. I believe all the political nonsense posted on the political thread is rooted in economics.

@retiredtraveler The only thing I thought odd about this answer is that it is a birthday celebration (or at least that was my take). We answered the question about whose brain we'd like to pick on an earlier thread (Who Would You Like to Have Coffee With, I think.)

But hey, you're allowed to party with a macro economist. Me? I'm taking the cowboy, every time. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 85 of 92

@retiredtraveler - For a minute I wondered about your "Joseph Stiglitz" .. but then I remembered that Georgia O'Keefe's husband was photographer Alfred Stieglitz .. close, but not the same! Smiley Happy

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 92

Ok. For the serious nerdy answer: Joseph Stiglitz. 

He is a macro economist (an area I'm interested in), has won countless awards and honorary degrees, considered one of the most influential people in the world.

More specifically, he writes about income inequality, educational inequality, asset risk management, corporate governance, et. al. 

I know --- it puts everyone else to sleep. I get into this stuff. I believe all the political nonsense posted on the political thread is rooted in economics.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 92

Are we talking about one person?  Living?  Deceased?

Ideally, I'd have a mixed bag of interesting people there...all sitting around a dinner table with simple but delicious food and great wine.  My picks for my birthday dinner party?

Jesus, The Dalai Lama, Buddha, Ghandi, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Nelson Mandela, Mohammed, Thomas Jefferson, Winston Churchill, Mozart, Bach, Van Gogh, Monet, Mother Theresa, Queen Elizabeth II, Marie Curie, Ann Frank, Eleanor Roosevelt, Malala Yousefzai, Audrey Hepburn, Susan B. Anthony, Abigail Adams, Billie Jean King, Ella Fitzgerald, Madeline Albright & Amelia Earhardt. 

What a great conversation we could all have!

If I could just pick one living person, I think I'd choose Michelle Obama.  She seems like such fun and a great conversationalist!

If I could only pick one deceased person, it would have to be Abraham Lincoln.  Thoughtful, intelligent, kind, intellectually curious...I think I could learn a lot from a conversation with him!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 92

Sam Elliott. sam elliott.jpg

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 92

If it could be anyone, I'd love to have my late mother back for a day .. it was 15 years since her passing, 2 weeks ago.

If it had to be someone living, I think I'd like to listen to Deepak Chopra for the afternoon.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 90 of 92

"...So if you could get your wish, who would it be?...".

Would they have to be clothed? Smiley Wink

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views