Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: If you could have anyone attend your next birthday who would it be?

Message 71 of 92

"...Ahhh...if we could only go back in time...Woman Wink..".

Yeah. But I figure most people have heard this statement:

"I would love to be young again, but know everything I know now".  

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 92

Oh, wow…what a fun dilemma! This would be hard to limit. I’d have to have the party in a field, I guess. How do you keep the guest list down? First I’d have to have my parents, husband, and best friend fly in from Heaven to let us all know what it’s like. Then from my favorite author’s list: Lisa Scottolini, Wendy Wax, Clive Cussler, and Stephen King. (The author list could go on forever.) From filmdom we’d at least have to have Viola Davis, Julia Roberts and George Clooney. From TV: Tom Selleck, The ladies on The Talk, Ellen, and everyone on The Today Show and the whole cast of Downton Abbey. From the music world, Elvis, The Beatles, Johnny Mathis, The Oak Ridge Boys, Tim and Faith, Blake, Taylor Swift, Adele and Ed Sheeran. (This list could be a long one, too). As for political figures??? Abraham Lincoln, Ronald Reagan, Barbara Bush, not exactly a politician, but close enough for me, and Nelson Mandela. I guess that’s the bare bones list.  Cat Happy N.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 92

@retiredtraveler wrote:

@doglover52 wrote:

".....I would invite myself when I was in my 20's or 30's. We would discuss the various decsions I had made for my life,if I had any regrets in doing what I did.....".

Now that is a great response. 

@retiredtraveler ...My brain "pinged" when I read your response to @doglover52!  I am assuming that, with your recent info, Joseph Stiglitz is still your guest for a birthday celebration.  Taking a page from doglover52's book, how great would it be to also invite your younger self and see if he would have done anything differently based upon a conversation with Stiglitz?  

Ahhh...if we could only go back in time...Woman Wink

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 92

@doglover52 wrote:

I would invite myself when I was in my 20's or 30's. We would discuss the various decsions I had made for my life,if I had any regrets in doing what I did. I'm sure it would be an interesting conversation. Sue

@doglover52  I agree completely with @retiredtraveler's response.  One of the best!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 92

doglover52 wrote:

".....I would invite myself when I was in my 20's or 30's. We would discuss the various decsions I had made for my life,if I had any regrets in doing what I did.....".

Now that is a great response. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 92

I would invite myself when I was in my 20's or 30's. We would discuss the various decsions I had made for my life,if I had any regrets in doing what I did. I'm sure it would be an interesting conversation. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 92

"...@retiredtraveler  I will ask...it is a "he" by the way.  You have something in common...he used to live in Chicago.  Though not a famous economist, he makes his living at it and he's written articles for "The Economist."...".

All righty. I look at that magazine from time-to-time in the local library. Some of it is above my pay grade, but look for articles that combine social issues to economic ones, which they commonly do.

Good for him --- got out of Chicago area. We'll stay for family, but don't choose to live in midwest otherwise. 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 92

@retiredtraveler wrote this:

"I know --- it puts everyone else to sleep. I get into this stuff. I believe all the political nonsense posted on the political thread is rooted in economics."

And as I read it, so do a lot of others on P & CE.  I post there as well and economics rears its head quite often on those pages...and none of those folks are asleep!  Their blood is often boiling...hard to sleep through that!

Image result for angry man

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 92

@retiredtraveler  I will ask...it is a "he" by the way.  You have something in common...he used to live in Chicago.  Though not a famous economist, he makes his living at it and he's written articles for "The Economist."

We're proud of him...proud of all of them, actually.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 92

"....A birthday celebration is anything the celebrant wants it to be.  It doesn't sound so odd to have a macro-economist at one's birthday party.  One of my kids is an economist...they can be quite fun and some of them really know how to party!...".

Ask him/her about ole' Stig, or thinks I'm reading the wrong economist. There are a lot of different views/theories in that field which he/she could have. You probably know that.

Kudos
Views