Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Re: I am and feel so lonely and I am no fun to be with

Message 1 of 11

My first question would be who do you interact with? do you have any activities you go to? I also am an author - three books, two are poetry. I attend a church and enjoy the activities it provides. While ths may not be of interest to everyone - Its a wonderfule opportuniy to interact with like-minded peple. Volunteering is a good one, there are so many people who need some kind of assistance. I was married twice and lost both wives to cancer. I met my second wife while volunteering. You are giving of your self, your knowledge and your life experience. You get to interact with so many people and helping others is not only important but fulfillimg. The volunteering helped me help  others and I was so fortunate to have found someone that I could spend my life with. Give it a try - you won't be disappointed.

Erwin Parent

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Reply: I am and feel so lonely and I am no fun to be with

Message 2 of 11

Nannette41,

When did you start having feelings of lonliness?  Please tell us more about your situation and maybe we can offer some advice.

@Nannette41 wrote:

Because I am so lonely and feel so lonely I have no friends and I am no fun to be with. Yet, I love to write (write a lot of poetry) and I am a publish author. I speak three and write three languages (English, French, Spanish), I love to cook and entertain, yet, I am alone, and have no friend... Does anyone care?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11

Who ever you are, thank you.  I still wish we could actually communicate personally... 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11

@Nannette41 wrote:

Because I am so lonely and feel so lonely I have no friends and I am no fun to be with. Yet, I love to write (write a lot of poetry) and I am a publish author. I speak three and write three languages (English, French, Spanish), I love to cook and entertain, yet, I am alone, and have no friend... Does anyone care?

Yes people care. Just about every community or religious group has some type of senior group or center.  How many have you checked out?  What were your experiences?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

@Nannette41 .......Some of the posters have given you great advice about possible outlets to be in contact with others. 

I love that you write poetry.  I have written some also.  I found that writing is a good outlet to express my feelings.  Sometimes seeing it on paper helps me to sort through what I need to do to make a plan to improve my current circumstances.

I hope you will write again and give us an update.  Take good care of yourself.  

Soosie

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

I use to be in the oil and gas industry; now, and for the last ten years, I am retired. The people who lived where I still leave do not really know me; the others, who knew me and have retired, have left the neighborhood. I have no family here, I came from France a long time ago, thus I speak with an accent, and may have been arrogant at times (we French often can be as a means of defense)... now one would say I got what I deserve... still it is hard to accept to be so alone, with no family. I do not have a mobile telephone, I do not text, and I am not on facebook...I have remained "old fashion" in some sort. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11

Ocean, you are awesome.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11

I'm a hermit, by choice and circumstance.  But, it does get lonely sometimes.  I live in a senior park, not a lot of interaction.  One thing that started up a couple of years ago, because so many residents are truly not able to get out, is a phone tree of sorts.  Now, everyone receives at least one phone call a day.  Just a quick hi, how are you today?  Sometimes this leads to visits, or could you please get my mail for me, so and so is off to the market, do you need anything.  It's not a lot but it helps to know you are truly not alone.  One lady does this phoning with two friends in two different states.  It's okay to ask for this simple, daily touch in.  Message me Nannett and I promise I will call.  We'll see where we may go from there okay.  Remember when we had pen pals?  That was great.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

Nannette, I am sorry you are suffering. 

What kinds of things can you access in your community? Senior centers? Houses of worship? Any volunteer activities that interest you?  Even a part time job?  Anything to increase the number of people you see every day.

https://www.aarp.org/relationships/friends/info-04-2011/never-too-old-for-friends.html

http://sixtyandme.com/how-to-find-friends-and-fight-loneliness-after-60/

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11

Of course people care. 

Kudos