Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How "Fast on Your Feet" & Articulate Are You, During Unexpected/Awkward Phone Call

Message 1 of 5

@MaVolta wrote:

@Epster - I'm with ya on the phone calls. It's one of those things that's good to have when you need it, but not a utility that I use often. I use nomorobo for the robo calls, and caller ID to screen the rest. 

@MaVolta Exactly. I should give credit to my dad on this stance, because he was the same way. "I do not interrupt dinner, a conversation, a shower or a good book for an incoming call. The phone is there for my convenience, rather than theirs", he'd say.

Heh: maybe we have a 'does not answer ringing phones' gene. Smiley Wink

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How "Fast on Your Feet" & Articulate Are You, During Unexpected/Awkward Phone Call

Message 2 of 5

@Epster - I'm with ya on the phone calls. It's one of those things that's good to have when you need it, but not a utility that I use often. I use nomorobo for the robo calls, and caller ID to screen the rest. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

@MaVolta wrote:

Well, I've never been very good at thinking on my feet, especially when caught off guard. I would say that maybe my prime years (35-55) would have been the best. By then, I had trained my mind to focus better, was more perceptive, and had overcome a few ADD issues. But I'm clearly not as sharp these days. If I need to clearly articulate something, then writing has always worked better for me. 

If confronted with a similar situation, I probably wouldn't answer the phone, but would have sent an explanation in writing. I'm generally one to avoid confrontation. Though I have, at times, played out conversations in my head, the way you described, it usually never happened. 

Well, I've just never been big on phones and as a rule ignore an incoming call. This began when I was writing for a living and didn't want my train of thought interrupted (because goofball that I am, I'd forget what I was writing), but once I developed the habit I kept it. So basically anyone who wants to talk to me has to do so through surface or email. If I haven't provided those, then, uh hint, hint. Smiley Happy

That personal weirdness shared, let me answer the question: Ahhhhh, ya know what? I don't run from confrontation per se, I mean, I'm not afraid to state my view, and am absolutely never afraid to fight for what I see as right, however this, to me, isn't about that. To me, this is more about what is necessary. I don't find it necessary to tell an office worker, a scheduler, or a lower level employee the whys of my choices. For one, I find that it makes them uncomfortable. For another, they generally cannot authorize what needs done to earn back my business, so what's the point? Instead, I'll probably call the owner and give a calm explanation of my grievance, making certain to posit that my reason for doing so is that I wish for her and the business to thrive, and hope that constructive feedback may assist with that. She may or may not win back my business here, depending upon her response. Either way, I have tried to turn lemons into lemonade, and I'm good with that.

As goes the saying: You can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

@ASTRAEA - What an interesting question!

Well, I've never been very good at thinking on my feet, especially when caught off guard. I would say that maybe my prime years (35-55) would have been the best. By then, I had trained my mind to focus better, was more perceptive, and had overcome a few ADD issues. But I'm clearly not as sharp these days. If I need to clearly articulate something, then writing has always worked better for me. 

If confronted with a similar situation, I probably wouldn't answer the phone, but would have sent an explanation in writing. I'm generally one to avoid confrontation. Though I have, at times, played out conversations in my head, the way you described, it usually never happened. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

How "Fast on Your Feet" & Articulate Are You, During Unexpected/Awkward Phone Calls?

Message 5 of 5

How have YOU handled awkward follow-up phone calls from service providers you've changed, because performance was poor? Vent, let it go & say little, not take the call, or something else?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Replies