Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: How many times have you heard someone say this?

Message 1 of 17

The other one that I hate is being referred to as 79 years "young".  I wouldn't be "young" again if you paid me a million dollars.  It was too hard.  Sooo, I just hand them a card that says...

"The pretense that 

everyone is young

is not only

preposterous,

it deprives age of its

great dignity

and 

advantage."

I make my own business cards so it is easy to print up a sheet of ten of these to carry all the time.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 17

everyone is so sensitive! those things don't bother me

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 17

Well, I've always taken it as a compliment if someone says I look good for my age ~ and will continue to do so - because I do look good for my age!   

This is a First World Problem, and if you don't know what that means, please Google it.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 17

Other people's opinions of you are none of your business! Don't listen, don't be a part of anything like this. Defy anyone who wants to put you in a box and define you by subjective ideas. I'm not like anyone else on this Earth...neither are you! 

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 17

I know I am guilty when it is in the opposite use....say the doctor....and I found myself telling her how young she looked to be a doctor already.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 17

When people say I look "young" for my age, or "good" for my age, or anything else, I realize they're jealous of me.  Ignore what others say.  If you're happy with yourself, then let the rest of the world keep their judgements to themselves.  Better still, let them judge themselves and "learn from me!"

I'll celebrate my 80th birthday in July.  Do I act my age or look my age?  I don't know what an 80 year old is "supposed" to look like or how they're "supposed" to act.  I'll just be myself.  Perhaps some of these silly people will learn from me just by seeing how I look and act "for my age"!   And maybe some of them would like to join me for a run some morning to see what an almost 80-year old wears  and how she acts when she's running down the road.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 17

I fail to see how this is rude. I am 71 years old  "yes years old"! Not years young...I'm not young.. not any more. I know because I lived every one of them and it took along time. Tell me I have aged well ..I respect that ! So if I look good for being 71, thank you! I would not make a good looking 20 year old, 30, or 50. Keep it honest! Lighten up people!!!! Everyone is so **bleep** sensitive for crying out loud !!! People just seem to want to take offense at everything...we didn't used to be that way. I say in one ear and out the other. Don't sweat the small stuff.

.... and it's all small stuff !!! The world will be a lot better place...like it used to be !!!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 17

I’m a 73 year old woman, and for years always said add five to ten years to one true age, and people will say wow! Looks fantastic.   Lol

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 17

Another rude one is, "(S)he looks good, considering.......".

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 17

how  about my wife being told she dresses nice for her age. (by a stanger no less?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors