From festivals to better food, amusement parks are adding features for older adults. Take a look at what's new!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you volunteer?

Message 1 of 17

I volunteer at the Family History Library in the near by town. One evening a week I help "walk ins" and those who have scheduled appointments - I help them research their  past - past relatives and places of origin. I also help researchers who call me and are "stuck" and I help over the phone. 

I have helped with "Food Banks" also in the nearby town. Also with the "Meals on Wheels" organization - also in the nearby town. I have helped at the Senior Center here in Coolidge - crafts and such. I volunteer at my church - the Women's Organization "Relief Society" - I am secretary of the organization.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 17

I volunteer with RSVP  as a benefits counselor.  I started this in 1995, after spending the tax season as a volunteer tax return preparer.  I spent two years as an AMERICORPS volunteer.  I volunteered for several years with the AARP Taxaide program.  I have continued to provide benefits counseling two days a week at a major New York City hospital to the current date.  In addition to the counseling, I was asked to become the president of the Jacobi Medical Center Auxiliary, a non-profit 501-C3 corporation associated with the Jacobi Medical Center.  I also served a few years as an instructor in the AARP Safe Driver program.  I volunteered to read names at the 9/11 memorial service one year at the World Trade Center site.  I have volunteered to participate in various events held by RSVP to help people apply for housing benefits.  I encourage  everyone to help themselves by volunteering - volunteers live longer, have better self esteem, have a purpose for getting up in the morning, get to feel the gratitude of those they help, are oftern honored by the organization they serve with, receive the gratitude and blessings of those they help.  I  will be 85 years of age on my next birthday. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 17

I have been volunteering in the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary for 20 Years. I enjoyed every minute of it and still do.

There are a lot of things a volunteer can do and training is free. There is a yearly fee to join and you need to buy your own Uniform. You can become a crew Person and various other positions. I did several of them and for the last 15 years I have been the Secretary of our Area Flotilla.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 17

I am almost age 69, but I still work part-time which helps to pay for our Medicare expenses. I do volunteer, monthly, at a senior center to sign people up for our RTA transit system for seniors. Also, I'll deliver quarterly magazines to senior groups and have volunteered to sit at the desk to greet people coming in for programs or for a meal. I feel that I can still make a difference by connecting with people.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 17

I have been volunteering at my grandson's school as well.  Whatever the teacher needs, mostly copying paperwork and stuffing Thursday folders.  I love when the kids call me Mimi as well . I also volunteer for my church for Busses and Backpacks on Wednesday mornings. The church collects can food (peanut butter and jelly) for example and stuff the backpacks and the kids take them home on Friday.  We are presently feeding 10 families. 

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 17

I only volunteer for $20/HR.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 17

I volunteer at our Veterans Hospital driving the coursey cart which helps my fellow veterans to get in and back to their cars from the parking lot.  I receive treaqtment and this is a way I can give back and meet so many great people.  I also teach computer classes at our senior center and fix minor problems for seniors computers.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 17

What did yiu do when you were working? How much time do you have free say per week? Are you willing to drive a certain distance to volunteer? Depending upon some of these factors, you can serve at a local soup kitchen, sort out food items, volunteer at a hospital distributing books to paients, dirct patients to the right place etc etc. There is no limit to waht you can do as a volunteer... Hope this helps.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 17

I have volunteered at my grandchildrens' elementary schools one day a week for 4 years and love it. It started out just reading to a class but it has evolved into more classroom activity. Sometimes I just sit at a desk and do something like cut out gingerbread men blanks for the kids to do a Christmas project with, other times I help kids as they are working on various activities, whatever the teacher needs. Our local school system has a program for seniors to reimburse mileage and buy their lunch if it helps them volunteer at the schools.I don't use it, but I would imagine most seniors here are not aware of that perk.The kids love it when I walk thru the door...........talk about an ego boost.........17 kids yelling "MiMi, yayyyyyy you're here!!"  And thankfully the schools still allow the kids to hug us because I get 17 hugs when I walk in and 17 hugs when I leave! I have a soft spot for those kids that struggle a little so I make sure they get an extra hug, too.  

A couple of years ago there was a child in one of the classes that was bordering the autism spectrum.  He was not disruptive, but more isolated and did not want to be a part of any activities.  I made it a special point to sit just a few minutes with him every time I was there and talk like a "grandma". After several months in the class, his Mom overheard the teacher call me MiMi and she came over and hugged me and said her son had started including me in his nightly prayers; he had never done that outside his family.  She was crying and by the time she left, so was I...........and I'm just a normal person with no teaching background....just a "grandma".

amcoffiebean
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 17

I volunteer at the local History center, at the info desk, guiding tours, some research and computer input.  I also knit chemo caps for cancer patients.  We meet twice a week at the local Library and knit or loom caps and hats for chemo patients at 2 local hospitals and also hats for veterans and the needy. I am also just starting as an advocate for changes or new ideas at our local hospital. They are all very rewarding, do not take a lot of time and you meet some really great people while doing something rewarding and worthwhile.

Kudos
Views