Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you take care of the environment?

Message 1 of 36

In the spirit of “tough love”, saying you recycle is not good enough. Recycling paper saves 40% to 60% of the resource required to produce “new” paper. But eliminating the need saves 100%! And demand for used plastic other than PET (recycle 1) is so small that they mostly end up in the land fill.

So, what should you do? If you buy an item that comes in three levels of packaging, or the packaging doesn’t say “made from recycled material”, send the manufacture a note saying you don’t like it. Get your bills electronically. Tell charities that you don’t like multiple request (one charity we used to give to sent us 31 requests in one year). Read books on e-readers.

Shop at businesses that support ecology. Trader Joes gives away unsold food rather than trashing it. They have biodegradable & compostable produce bags. Styrofoam trays were replaced with PET1 trays, and many of those say “made from recycled plastic”.

Instead of throwing something out, try giving it away. Freecycle.org allows you to list items you no longer need. You might also see something that you need.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 36

I recycle everything that I can. I unplug appliances when not in use. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 36

Recycle, compost, electric lawn mower, lower food waste by buying what I need and eating it, auto thermostat that I lower when out of town, put pool noodles over hot water pipes (and give them to others), car with better than 25 mile fuel ave, buy vegies and eggs etc local, I read to find more ideas my latest: "Drawdown"  by Paul Hawken, talk to others about how food waste etc contributes to problem. Yes, I turn off lights, added insulation, planted trees (and clover for bees). My motto: Don't waste It (Buy what I need, buy it local, then pass it on) I talk to others about how everyone can be a part of the sollution. Thank you for doing this.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 36

Have a container in the shower that catches the water while it is getting hot. Use that water to water the plants. Also, broken up eggshells are thrown over plants and that gets rid of snails. Why, because a snail's foot is its mouth.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 36

Recycling, cleaning up after my dog. Buying from Grove.com and other recycled products.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 36

There are many things I do besides recycling and compost. One of the  most effective things I do is eat a plant based nutrient dense vegan diet.  if anyone is interested please just Google:

Veganism and Environment

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 36

There are many things I do besides recycling and compost. One of the  most effective things I do is eat a plant based nutrient dense vegan diet.  if anyone is interested please just Google:

Veganism and Environment

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 36

There are many things I do besides recycling and compost. One of the  most effective things I do is eat a plant based nutrient dense vegan diet 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 36

Have a bin in the sink where dishes are rinsed before putting them in the dishwasher. That water is saved and goes on plants. When ready to wash dishes, run the water in the empty bin till it is hot and then start the dishwasher which is full of course. Food from the dishes is composted. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 36

I use magnets to do my laundry instead of laundry detergent. We use 20 mule team borax as a booster but no laundry detergent. It works well.

Kudos
Views