Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you take care of the environment?

Message 21 of 36

I've been using reusable bags at the super market and other stores for years, and keep a bag filled with them in the trunk of my car. Whenever possible I use containers that are biodegradable. My trash is thrown in the trash bin and if I see trash on the road I pick it up and throw it away. I should do more, but I seem to learn about clean-up opportunities after they have occured.

Living in an older apartment means that I go to the laundromat every other week which conserves water and I try to use products that will not harm the environment.

I'm always open to suggestions.

Sir Granny Tracy
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 36

Wife and I have been involved with a local environmental group for 35+ years. For many years, in the 80's, we worked a monthly recycling drive taking in paper, cans, bottles into semi trucks. Our group advocated and our town had the first curbside recycling in the county, eventually followed by most other towns. The group advocates for recycling, public spaces, public trans. We started the town using reusable cloth bags for shopping, and we're trying to eliminate plastic straws and plastic bags at this time. 

Wife and I made a concious decision to purchase a small home where less heating/air would be needed. I always drove 4-cylinder cars, and have been driving a hybrid for 6 years now. We've always been conservative on the thermostats, have had low-flow shower heads for decades and water efficient toilets. We compost, and with recycling, only put out a garbage bag about 4 times a year.

We live on several acres and like Manic, we have mostly groundcovers and very little lawn. Have planted or transplanted many trees and shrubs. The lawn is not fertilized --- no chemicals used. We handle all our own lawn waste -- nothing bagged. It's all composted or simply mowed over and ground up.

Inside house, again, no chemicals. Use cleaning vinegar (higher acid content than regular) for almost everything.

Protecting the environment and 'green living' has always been 'our thing'.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 36

I usually recycle for waste. I'm thinking of my future children and your children.

Daisy
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 36

@VoyagerVicki 

Vicki wanna say again Thanks!  Great Topic which has opened door for discovery of many great ideas Thanks to all for sharing

As 2 Papa stated I also go paperless on all bills & such which is great for saving trees but also having drafts & ebills is great blessing to me not having be concerned about paying bills on time & writing checks & mailing them which seems like a lifetime ago 

Having that ability has really helped our environment while also providing convenience along with protection of our information Its definitely win win 

Now if could do away with junk mail that'd be awesome at least it is recyclable & I've stopped what could still get alot 

Have a beautiful day everyone

Ginger : ) 

Smiley Happy Smile & the world Smiles with you Smiley Wink Pass one on....its free
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 36

All these ideas for personal activities are good!  Another aspect of this would be to join with others in making the changes we need.  Go to Info@eldersclimateaction.org and learn about their current project, Promote the Vote, to get environmental voters to act in upcoming elections and to contact their representatives for needed legislation.  They have a monthly call, on the 4th Tuesday of the month, that you can join to learn more.

Join them today April 23,  at 7 p.m. Eastern or they will send a link to the discussion.   You can get involved from home!
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 36

I go paperless on all of my hundreds of financial accounts and credit cards.  I’ll save hundreds of trees before I’m done!  🌲🌳🌴🌲🌿🌴

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 36

@ncsheth wrote:

My Favorite subject!

I recycle everything that can possibly be recycled. I have replaced all my light bulbs with LED bulbs. I use bags made out of recycled materials for shopping most of the time.

I always use eco friendly biodegradable plates, cups and bowls in the kitchen and during family gatherings. Trying to implement use of these eco friendly products during community events. I educate families, friends and other members of my community about harmful effects of using styrofoam and single use plastics to the environment.  

Yes to events! But the eco friendly disposables are so flipping expensive. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 36

Thanks.       The smiles I have gotten from the UPcycled flowers are priceless.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 36

I avoid excess packaging as much as possible, recycle everything that can be recycled.  I have a handful of chickens that turn kitchen scraps into compost.  They also have a run built around the outer edges of my vegetable garden and they do a marvelous job of controlling insects!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 36

I recycle flowers. I pick up arrangements from 2 local funeral homes when the people agree to donate the material and take them to senior centers. Sometimes I rearrange the material to make it smaller. I later donate the vases back to a florist. I also compost all the dead materials. It saves a lot of stuff from going into landfills. When florists start using oasis that is biodegradable, life will be a lot better.

Kudos
Views