Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you take care of the environment?

Message 31 of 36

My Favorite subject!

I recycle everything that can possibly be recycled. I have replaced all my light bulbs with LED bulbs. I use bags made out of recycled materials for shopping most of the time.

I always use eco friendly biodegradable plates, cups and bowls in the kitchen and during family gatherings. Trying to implement use of these eco friendly products during community events. I educate families, friends and other members of my community about harmful effects of using styrofoam and single use plastics to the environment.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 36

Oh, and yes to reusable straws. As a prior poster said. My son learned about those at school and now he takes one to school every day. I also don’t use things like ziplocks and disposable containers and utensils when packing lunches. 

I buy environmentally friendly coffee. Since coffee production is harsh on the environment (and birds). All Caribou coffee is rainforest alliance certified. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 36

Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Small house with small footprint. No grass lawn.  Native plants and ground covers that are drought resistant, don’t need to be watered.

Live close to work. Have a fuel efficient car, but it’s not a hybrid, unfortunately. 

Make my own cleaning supplies. My favorite is laundry detergent. 

Replace appliances with as high efficiency ones as I can afford.

Invest in green mutual funds and I’m exploring green banking. I don’t know much about it yet, though, to make a big change.

I take the bus when I can. But I’m still the kid chauffeur to my youngest. So public transportation is not always feasible.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 36

Great topic indeed!

I am a passionate recycler.  I began recycling maybe five years ago when our city began supplying the neighborhoods with brand new trash bins and separate recycling bins.  Once I received that recycling bin, I immediately began filling it with every recyclable thing imaginable.  I actually enjoy rinsing the soup cans and the milk cartons and breaking down the cardboard boxes before putting them in the bin. And I'm so happy to now have two ways of keeping my home clean and in order all while doing my small part for the environment.  Generally, I can go two weeks, sometimes three, before I have to put the recycling bin out to the curb.  And since I have so little garbage now, I have been able to hold off three or four weeks before putting that bin out front (especially during the winter months).  So for me, the extra steps one must make to recycle is indeed a happy pleasure. 

One major project I hope to get done this year is the removal of an extremely large, old tree from in front of my home.  It looks as though it may be diseased. But the main problem with it is the fact that the branches are very large, brittle, breaking, and falling.  I fear that one day a neighbor may be injured or a passing car damaged.  Also, the roots of this mammoth tree are pressing up through the sidewalk--making walking a bit treacherous.  Anyway, once that tree is removed and the stump ground out and the sidewalk repaired or replaced, I plan on having a new healthy tree planted in the same area to replace the one lost.  Of course, it will not be as big and leafy,  but it will be of some size and hopefully in full bloom.  Thus, replenishing the environment,  beautifying the neighborhood, and improving the view from my living room couch.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 36

Hi there Vicki great topic 

I recycle everything that can possibly be recycled. My recycle bin is usually full every 2 weeks. I try control my amount of trash in bin usually 1 bag a week.

I also recycle all my plastics (bags: produce, bread & ect) that can now be dropped off at local grocery stores.

I purchase products made from recycled plastics (purses, lunch bags & toys & ect) feel this is necessary since I contribute many 2L Coke bottles.

I have replaced all my light bulbs with LED bulbs and rarely have any lights on during day and only have on ones using. My dad hates lights on so I grew up with that enforcement.

I use bags made out of recycled materials for shopping most of the time.

Also save electricity since gotten my Echoes and plugs connected through them that I can turn lights on when away from home vs leaving couple lights on during day when possible be past dark returning. 

Also this year I began using tumblers and reusable straws for taking my Coca-cola with me vs Styrofoam cups & plastic straws which for many years I've reused those about 10 times b4 putting in trash. I also cut up straws that are used and plastic rings around 6 pack drinks. 

In my few years living at beach before moved I was helping with turtles and also still support "The Birdlady" seeing the damage done to animals from straws stuck in them or wrapped up in things we dispose made me very aware to try my best to leave less of a footprint in things I do. 

I love trees and nature and try do things to support that. 

I look forward to reading others posts to possibly learn some more ways to be good to our environment 

Have a blessed day everyone!

Ginger  ; ) 

Smiley Happy Smile & the world Smiles with you Smiley Wink Pass one on....its free
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

How do you take care of the environment?

Message 36 of 36

Do you recycle? Compost? Turn off lights when not in use? Take public transportation? Plant trees? Something else?

Tell us how you conserve Earth's resources and help protect the planet.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet