Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: How are you spending Thanksgiving?

Message 12 of 20
If you want to have a relationship with your daughter, apologize for speaking to her that way, tell her that you love her, and keep those opinions to yourself. Find a way to detach from her actions without detaching from her. We may be wiser now, but we had to make our own mistakes along the way in order to learn from them. Don't rob her of having her own experiences. Good luck @shortstuff471
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 20

Make the best of a bad situation. Good decision to visit with friends.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 20

Well we usually spend it at my daughter's. But this year we are uninvited, Because I talked rough to my daughter, she has decided to be a foster parent to my niece and her baby. Sometimes my daughter doesnt see all things. I gave my daughter some information that I had found concerning my granddaughter. We bought up the past and both said some hurtful things. There are somethings in your past that you will never forget. She says we should let the past go and enjoy what we have today. I am having a real hard time with her taking in my granddaughter at the expense of her kids and husband. Now she doesnt want to hear stuff if it is bad and wont help them, just say good things. I do not know how to do that. Any Suggestions?

shortstuff
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 20

I have no family other than my toddler son. His mother and I are divorced.

My social life has not been very active the last four years. I have a limited number of friends.
I was very lucky to befriend the parents of a good friend of mine.

They live two hours away from me in Connecticut.

Therefore, I decided to indebt myself a further $100 to spend Thanksgiving with my friends in CT.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 20

I'm spending Thanksgiving with family. My birthday is the day after Thanksgiving so I'll celebrate both back to back with family. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 20

My wife and I - okay, mostly my wife - will have close family join us. Her Mom and Dad, her son and daughter, and maybe her sister will bring a few things. The rest, my wife will do. This year, my son and daughter-in-law will spend Thanksgiving with his mother, my first wife. They plan to alternate each year between her and us.
My wife will make a few full-size pies according to our varied tastes. She and her Mom will prepare sweet potatoes - one batch with butter and brown sugar and the other will be plain or with a little butter. We'll make mashed potatoes and gravy - again, mostly my wife on this one, too.

Before then, my wife and I will go shopping this weekend for the turkey and all the other side dishes and relishes that we don't have in our pantry. On Thanksgiving morning, she will prepare the turkey for cooking in a cooking bag and put it into the oven to have it ready by dinner time in the early afternoon.

Her kids and I will probably help with setting up the table and chairs. When the turkey is ready, I'll be the one to carve what we need and place the slices on one or two platters, separated into light and dark meat - one of the drumsticks for my step-son.

We'll all sit around the extended table and pass around the platters and bowls. "Pass the butter, please." "Who has the gravy?" "Who wants cranberry sauce?" and finally, "Did you get enough? What else would you like?"

After we all have had our fill of the main dishes and sides, we'll probably visit for a while to let things settle, and then we'll break out the pies to fill in any empty spaces we can find by then. We'll visit some more, set aside leftovers for the others to take home as they wish, and then prepare the rest of the leftovers for several days of reminiscing for my wife and me.

We love having the dinner at our house so we can have those leftovers for reheated dinner plates, sandwiches, or even to make other dishes with the leftovers as we desire at the time.

Enjoy!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 20

I'll be joining a friend and her family on Thanksgiving afternoon.  I live alone and have no local family.  I love turkey and hope the day is drama free, time to be grateful. 

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 20

This year a friend and I will share a HUGE pizza for our Thanksgiving meal.

Years ago I learned that a traditional Thanksgiving meal meant turkey for a week in every conceivable form, and I don't love turkey that much. So a couple of years ago when no family was around, I decided to switch it up with my friend. That first year we had chinese food which we love, and this year it will be pizza.

Thanksgiving to me means being thankful for many things, one of which is that I don't have to eat turkey!

Sir Granny Tracy
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

How are you spending Thanksgiving?

Message 20 of 20

What are you doing this Thanksgiving? How do you celebrate? Any special traditions?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.

Top Authors