Staying Sharp empowers you to take control of your brain health as you age. Try it today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How are you dedicating a little bit of time to a worthy cause?

Message 1 of 23

Whatever is meant by a little bit of time? While I no longer work 40+ hours a week, I consider myself a professional volunteer. While the pay sucks, the rewards are many. Among my regular "jobs," I design and edit a monthly newsletter for a non-profit child care center, provide the annual yearbooks of two women's organizations and produce the posters for my Kiwanis Club Annual Pancake Day. When I couldn't work on our community's latest Habitat house, I baked goodies for those who were working. I've volunteered in a food pantry and regularly take an older friend to her doctor's appointments. I'm sorta' an on-call volunteer for several local non-profits. Recent activities included researching sites for our Main Street's Annual Haunted Tours and then leading tours into a utility tunnel that once connected two school buildings. I hadn't realized how much fun it is to scare people. My Kiwanis Club shares the profits for this two-day event, and this year our earnings will go to Kiwanis worldwide service project which is in cooperation with UNICEF in eliminating maternal/neonatal tetanus. There's more, but I think that I'm beginning to sound as though I'm bragging. I turn down "jobs" that I don't find interesting or those for which I have little skill--like housework.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 23

I do volunteer work at my grandchildren's school.  They attend a parochial school which relies heavily on volunteers for help at both the school and the church.  My main focus, and the most fun, is a project that I just finished.  The school holds an annual event in early December for the children to come and "secret shop" for Christmas gifts for their families.  The event involves shopping for the gifts (and staying within a limited budget), setting up for the event, assisting the children in their shopping, wrapping their selected gifts, and cleaning up at the end of the day.  It is so much fun to watch the children carefully select their gifts!  I also bake cookies for the bake sale. I will begin shopping soon for next year's event....watching for great bargains and then keeping an inventory of the gifts according to categories.  It is a wonderful way to spend my retirement!

Nana51
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 23

I do a lot of volunteer work, as I stated earlier, but I am in awe of the things people do to help others.

So many incredible people doing incredible things!

As seniors, we keep the world moving😀

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 23

Wow what an impressive list of dedication and love.  Thank you all for your time and efforts!!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 23

I am 75 years old and have had my "horse habit" for most of my life & still keep two riding horses with me.  I belong to Back Country Horsemen--a worthy group of folks who work physically, socially, and politically to preserve trails for everyone to enjoy.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 23

So many wonderful posts to read here! What an inspiration you all are!

I enjoy doing volunteer work at my church. We serve the parish in many ways, including the food pantry. I would like to do more to help the homeless.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 23

That is Great

I am going to go onto the Habitat for Humanity website and search what is available in Chicago Illinois

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 23

I volunteer regularly (typically 2 days/week) with Habitat For Humanity, building houses in and around Fort Worth Tx. I belong to a volunteer leadership group with training on how our houses are built. Our group is mostly retired men, but we have a few ladies and a few folks still working who are willing to give up their Saturdays to build houses. We then teach and lead the 25 or so volunteers that show up for a typical work day. We start with a slab and finish 12 volunteer days later with a house that's painted on the outside. All the interior work is then completed by professional subcontrators. We build 30-35 houses per year for families that need safe, affordable housing. As to why I do this, the payoff comes when a child, who has never had a house or even a room to call their own, comes up to you and says "let me show you my room". Or, the parent who tells you they're having trouble explaining to their kids why "a bunch of people we don't even know are building us a house". Also, climbing ladders and pounding nails are my exercise program and a lot more fun than going to a gym. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 23

I volunteer for Hospice House of SC.  I do direct patient care; which means I visit dying patients in their home, or at a Hospice facility, in the hospital, or at a nursing home.  I check on their care, their condition and make sure their needs are met. I read to those who ask.  I will hold their hands if they need.  Sometimes I just sit with them, quietly.  I may, depending on the situation, speak with family and help them through a very difficult time.  Sadly, not all patients have family involved in their care.  For the patients who have no one, I spend a bit more time with them.

It is a job I love to do.  That last mile we all have to travel can be a heavy one; often on a lonely road, so I'm glad I can help them make the journey.  (Not all patients are awake, alert and aware) For them I do the same and hope they know I'm there.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 23

A big THANK YOU to wurman for this valuable service to veteran families. Just this month I attended services for my 100 year old uncle, the last of the "greatest generation" in my father's family. He was a WWII Navy veteran of the Pacific so it was a Navy honor guard that played Taps and folded the flag from his casket. It was a very moving moment for all, even without the rifle volleys.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors