Rethink your job search and find opportunities for experienced workers with the AARP job board.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How are you dedicating a little bit of time to a worthy cause?

Message 11 of 23

I volunteer at my local animal shelter by fostering neonatal kittens. I take the tiniest, and often the sickest orphaned kittens and raise them for the shelter. It is time-consuming work, especially when you are feeding a kitten every two hours around the clock, but I love it.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 23

Thank you for that service.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 23
I belong to the Marine Corps League, and within that veterans service organization I volunteer to the Honor Guard. When requested, we assemble at the local state veterans cemetery, in our League uniforms, and fire the rifle volleys that follow unfolding of the deceased veteran's flag and precede the playing of Taps. We also arrange for one of us to personally present spent shell casings to the Primary Next-of-Kin who has just received the folded flag from the official Marine Corps ceremonial detail. On some occasions, as arranged by the Marines, we assemble for funeral services at local cemeteries or at churches to support them with our honors. As part of this assignment, I am constantly astounded at the effect we have on the families of the deceased.
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 23

I have several causes that I dedicate time too.  One is gun locks to Veterans and their families to keep safety in the home.  I am in the process of my newest endeavor is placing braille signs on our Veterans buildings so they can read their pledge of alleigance in braille.  Waiting on order to be placed, approval has been received from Leadership.  I also am donating every time I can to various organizations:  Shriners Crippled Children, The National Federation of the Blind, Leukemina, and Community Care for feeding the hungry.  I use to chaperone teenage dances at Rosemeade Community Center and play guitar for the domestic violence shelter for the children.  I am so thankful that I am still living, because they told me I would be crippled in a chair at 16 or dead at age 25.  Shriner's Children's Hospital in Greenville, SC took me in and I am now 68 years old and I give back at every opportunity.  I love people and I love to give, that's why I watch Ellen when I can for she is a giver also.  God bless her and her program of giving back and what a talented lady.  Thanks for this opportunity to share for I am bringing light to the organizations who help others, this is not for self.  Thanks again.  Patsy

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 23

I used to volunteer for a local animal rescue working adoption expos and fostering dogs. It became extremely time-consuming and I found it very hard to walk away from an event without another new member of the family in tow! I had SIX at one time!! I work too much to do any of that anymore but plan to get back to it when I retire. Now I just donate and help share homeless pet info on-line to try to find homes for them.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 23

I’m Chairperson for Bucket of Love with Waterford Youth Assistance.  We recruit volunteers to spend 1 hour a week in an elementary school with an “at-risk” child that the teacher or school social worker has identified.  The volunteers talk, play games, do crafts, read (no school work) and work at building each child’s self-esteem by example and guidance. There are many rewards for both the mentors and kids. Feedback from the kids as they’ve grown older has been so positive and knowing you’ve made a difference in someone’s life has no comparison. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 23

About two years ago, after being retired for a year, I started volunteering. I was "recruited" by Jewish Family Services. My jobs there are several. Along with "stuffing envelopes" for mailings, I help in the food pantry. We supply food boxes for approximately 150 or so families each month. In addition, we also distribute about 60 or so emergency food bags for those in need. We pack the boxes with staples and distribute them each month to those who cannot make it to the pantry. We recently completed building our new food pantry, giving us the ability to do more. In addition, once a month I work at a different food pantry where we make upwards of 600 sandwiches. It feels great being able to give a little help to those who are not as fortunate as I am. After one sandwich making day, as I was walking out of the pantry, a young lady with three children gently grabbed my arm and said "thank you". This is why we do what we do.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 23

I am a deacon in my church, as well as a Womens Bible Study leader. I spend a good amount of time researching resources for food banks, medical care, clothing banks etc., to provide both needy church members and the needs of the community at large. I help plan and coordinate church dinners and spend Thanksgiving at the church, helping prepare a free dinner for the community. I try to regularly call our "sick / shut ins" and send reminders for birthdays, anniversaries and special events.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 23

I'm  active in my church, singing in the choir and volunteering at the small food pantry and thrift shop we run.  I've also volunteered as an adult literacy tutor.  One of my big passions is supporting servicedogproject.org .  This unique charity breeds, raises, and trains Great Danes to act as balance and mobility assist dogs for people with TBIs and neurological conditions such as Parkinsons, MS, cerebral palsy, etc.  The dogs are donated to the recipients (that's right -- NO charge to the recipients, ever).  The only thing the organization asks of recipients is that they give back to their community in some way, if they are able.  About half of the recipients are veterans.  The organization runs on grants and donations.  explore.org has 7 cameras set up at SDP, which is located on a 12 acre farm in Massachutts.  You can watch the pups, and other inhabitants (the farm is also home to a small herd of rescue donkeys & mules, as well as other tame and not so tame wildlife).  They are a 501(c)3 charity and are fully acredited by ADI and the VA -- this is required so veterans can receive free veterinary care for their dogs.  If you're looking for a place to donate, or just want to be amused and entertained by adorable pups, check out their live cams.  A litter of 6 week old pups is just beginning its journey to Service Dog status, and there are 2 older litters who are further along in the process.  It's fun, entertaining, occasionally heartbreaking, and worth your time.  

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 23

I teach Tai Chi for Health for seniors, two hours per week at our Senior Circle.

Years ago I studied and performed modern dance.  I always wanted to learn Tai Chi, but didn't find an opportunity to do so until after retirement and relocation.  When I discovered the class at Senior Circle, I joined it.  I turned out to be pretty good at it, and before our teacher moved away, he turned the class over to me.  It is a wonderful opportunity for maintaining my own engagement with Tai Chi, and to work with others toward stabilizing, maintaining and enhancing their health.  I am profoundly grateful to my teacher, Aston Hugh, and to the folks who participate faithfully (or as often as they can) in the class, for empowering and enabling me to offer a small bit of myself in this way.

Kudos
Views