From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How Much Is Too Much To Share Online?

Message 11 of 12
Good information. I hope I don't give too much information, but if I do or should, I will appreciate someone giving me the caution sign. I have stated before that I don't open but a few links in any of these groups because of the danger. I have opened a few from people that I have learned to trust.

I am just guessing, but with the hatred in the world today, one could easily be set up.
I am thankful for the few posters I learned to value the friendship and could trust.

Soosie
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

How Much Is Too Much To Share Online?

Message 12 of 12

I 've been reading posts for a long time and one thing that I've noticed is that there are some people who routinely "share too much" information about their private lives.  I don't think this is my imagination!  Social media can trip up many people who like to document their lives online but the same dangers exist from posting TMI on message boards as well.

When I see thread after thread containing "bits" of random information that could easily be "pieced together" to create clues to someone's identity, it gives me "goosebumps."  They are "telegraphing" all kinds of sensitive information!

Some people are "newbies" who haven't given online safety much thought and a simple "FYI" explanation turns on the lights...showing them how what they let "slip" may come back to haunt them.

Alarmingly, some are experienced posters who go on and on (as my father used to say...their tongue is "loose" at both ends!) talking about whatever interests them, until one can almost draw a perfect portrait from memory.  

This is not only boring and "TMI" for most people, but it poses a danger for the person who leaks information like a sieve!  What are they thinking?

You probably already know the drill but just for grins...here are a few tips:

http://cyberscout.com/KnowledgeCenter/ProtectYourself.aspx

An online reviewing service provided this guide to the types of publicly available data an "information miner" can glean from "people search" websites.  It takes little basic information to get started.  It's something to think about...

What Information Can Be Found About Me?

Public records actually include a wide variety of data, much of which you may not actually want to be visible to the public. These records include:
  • Birth and Death Certificates
  • Marriage Licenses and Divorce Decrees
  • Home Addresses and Phone Numbers
  • Real Estate Transactions, including Property Appraisals
  • Driver’s License Information
  • Voter’s Registration
  • Lawsuits and Legal Actions that have Not Sealed by the Court
  • Criminal Records
  • And More…
In addition to these official records and documents, secondary sites will also publish a compilation of information found on other websites and areas of the internet, which is why they have trouble with accuracy. Your records could easily be mixed up with someone’s of a similar name, or information you filled out in a casual setting may be inappropriately used as a source of reliable information.

The Danger

While these secondary people search sites should only really be used to look up last known contact information, there are many people and institutions that use these sites as a sort of cheap source of background information.

This means that potential employers, creditors, new neighbors, co-workers, or anyone might have access to inaccurate – or accurate – information that you would prefer they not have. 

And even though most of these websites have Disclaimers or Announcements which state clearly that is illegal for an employer, creditor, or other entity to use their information to make a decision regarding potential employment, benefits, or otherwise, that isn’t a really a secure safeguard for you when it comes to your information.
<source:  Reviewopedia 12/06/2013>
"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season