Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: How Have You Started Over After The Death Of A Beloved Spouse, or Parent?

Message 1 of 2

I had a young son to keep me focused, as he was in school and needed to do his work. His school guidance counselor was a great help to both of us in this time of need, as was his participation in scouts, and other activities he was involved with. We grew closer as we went. I relied on the slogans I had heard when my husband was involved in an alcohol recovery program, such as One day at a time, keep it simple, etc. Loved those people and still do, some 25 years later. Mainly my point is to stay busy, get out and go to lunch with friends, volunteer, whatever, I went back to work to support my son and myself, as I knew Social Security benefits wouldn't last forever. The job I had helped me  to stay focused while my son was in school all day. Eventually he would be old enough to drive a car, so we saved our money for that day. College came up and we beat the bushes for scholarships,grants, etc.We did things togeether, took trips, and managed. Got a dog, my son learned how to play a musical instrument, did marching and concert band, and of course Mom oversaw that he completed his schoolwork with good grades.so that he could get into and succeed in college.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

How Have You Started Over After The Death Of A Beloved Spouse, or Parent?

Message 2 of 2

What do you do to keep busy and productive and not give up after the death of a loved one? I pray alot. Doing community voluntary work keeps me mentally, physically, and spiritually above those emotional waters that could easily overwhelm me. I also cherish warm fond memories of my mother and father. What about you? What/who keeps or holds you together?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies