Find answers to your Social Security questions in the AARP Social Security resource center.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How Does One Grow Older Gracefully? What Does It Mean To Grow Older Gracefully?

Message 1 of 8

Stop dwelling on age as a number, and just be yourself.  Do what you want to do, and don't let age be a factor.  Don't try to imitate what kids or anyone else does to make yourself look or feel younger.  At age 78 I earned my PhD.  I still run - not as long or fast as I did when I started running 37 years ago, but I run at my pace, and swim like a fish.  Yes, an older fish, but enjoying myself.  I dress comfortably - not imitating other generations, but how I feel is appropriate and comfortable for each particular situation - for ME.  I don't look in magazines to see how I "should" look and dress or act.  I'm an individual and feel that I'm aging and acting appropriately for ME and not trying to fit into any mold or definition of what an 79 year old woman should do.  I remember my mother always said for me to "act my age".   Well, I do act my age, but I define how I should act.  I haven't been arrested yet!!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How Does One Grow Older Gracefully? What Does It Mean To Grow Older Gracefully?

Message 2 of 8

I am 66 years young.  I'm retired from the Active Army/Army Reserve, Federal Government, drawing my full social security and still working for a Stage agency as a Career Consultant.  I'm fortunate enough to be working at a job I mostly love.  I have this thought about what I do - 5pm rolls around and I'm headed out.  I know I've made a positive difference in at least one person's life today.  This gratification helps keep me focused and thinking ahead.  Yes, I do realize there's negativity out there, but I try to keep a smile on my face the whole time.  We use to say way back when these words, which are still true - Life is a garden - dig it!!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

I do not plan to "grow old gracefully," but - rather keep on kicking and screaming against the artificial expectations of others on us "older" people.  What is age but a number anyway?  Some of us live to be only 50, others twice that.  Personally, whether or not I retire any time soon (and want to, for sure) will keep active and involved, learning new things, keep physically and mentally active, contribute what I can.  At 70, however, feel like "kick-starting" a whole new phase...at least that's the plan!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8
Most beautifully and accurately stated!
Noir Lady
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

My idea of growing old gracefully is accepting the new, respecting all life, volunteering when possible, keeping faith and following the golden rule.  We can't change everything.  We can choose to wisely assist with stories of our own.  We can do our best to assist those who need us.  We can remember our youth, and offer advice to the new youth.  We can be grateful every morning when we wake up.  We can count our blessings and remember what good things have been given to us in life.  It's short - don't be hateful, or grumpy or feel you're more deserving that anyone else.  We made it this far - let's go for the long haul with grace, wisdom, faith and thanks.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

I will be 70 years my next birthday, I hope that I am ageing gracefully, although I am not sure what that means.  However, I hope that I will always remember the advice my father in law, who is my senior by twenty (20) years, gives for his long life.   Stay busy and keep involved and surround yourself with friends of all ages.  In his case his kids and grandkids and great grandkids  in additon to his interest and involvement in the IOOF,  and other community activities keep him young in spiirt and perhaps that is what it means to grow older gracefullly.  Stay involved.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

I will be 64 years old in 2 months and I feel great because I'm able to do what I want to do.  I never had a problem speaking my mind or helping others.  I recently retired as Pre-School Teacher, but I am tutoring adult immigrant women, heavly involved in my church, training to be a Minister.

Many women in the world I believe need a friendly face, kind words, someone to take care of the kids when they need a break.  I would like to be available to help frustrated women, who have worked hard to support their families.

Valerie I Parris
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

How Does One Grow Older Gracefully? What Does It Mean To Grow Older Gracefully?

Message 8 of 8

To me it means not  bucking against the aging process. Being comfortable in my own skin and with who I am at 65 years of age. Regularly taking care of my spiritual, physical, mental, and emotional health. Keeping as much stress out of my life as possible and counting each day that I wake up as a blessing from God.

Kudos
Views
Replies