From festivals to better food, amusement parks are adding features for older adults. Take a look at what's new!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How Do You View Old Age And Getting Older?

Message 31 of 38

I did not even think about "age" until four years ago.  I was too busy being a caregiver, working or taking care of my children.  This is most of us.  My life today at this season of my life is free.  My children are grown and my beloved husband has passed away.  I am a volunteer libraraian and my joy is teaching yoga to seniors.  I walk several thousand steps per day and get on my exercycle.  I am blessed with good health, thanks to the above and love my friends.  I know that time is creaping up on me and eventually I will not be able to do all of these things, but I have planned the future, no matter what happens and feel good that my children do not have to wonder what will happen to mom.  I am 78 years young and love my email pen pals. 

Carolyn 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 38

We're only as Old as we allow ourselves to feel. Sure there are mornings when getting out of bed is difficult But it could be much worse. I was almost killed when I was younger and that experience taught me to appreciate every day and every person. Never think about getting Old. Think about LIVING and loving family and friends

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 38

Not long after I turned 30, when my sons were babies, I left my husband in charge for an hour or so while I went out for a nice long, contemplative stroll. I was feeling like I was getting pretty darn OLD ... when I suddenly had this thought, "You know, the thing is, in 10 years I'm going to be looking back on today and thinking about how YOUNG I was right now ... so I might as well ENJOY it while I can!!!" And that's pretty much how I've looked at it ever since. Yes, life has had its many battles but as I have always told my sons, you've gotta learn to love the battles. As a 2-time cancer survivor, I'm just happy to be alive! And as that next 10 years gets closer & closer to the edge of longevity, beyond that waits eternity! The best is yet to come!! 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 38

I think my first ever post at AARP (how to make/keep friends) was a sufficient intro of myself. To tell the truth, that post emboldened me to do more of same. Lest you didn’t pay attention I am an introvert and don’t display any beckoning or welcoming ads on my sleeve.

About aging. In this digital age science compiled much information about aging. But that’s all clinical data (making for dull, if not difficult, read due to medical/chemical terminology) devoted to the narrative of how from birth forward our bodies (at specific +/- ages) stop producing some essential elements crucial to physical development and wellbeing. Exempli gracia: nitrous oxide absolutely necessary to keep the venous system flexible; human growth hormone the lack of which promotes the production of wrinkles and weaker muscles, etc.

How do I feel about it? I accept aging at face value. My gut vacillates somewhere between 21 and 97 depending on activities of the moment. Given a choice I wouldn’t want to be any previous age. I suppose I am aging gracefully, whatever that means.

I apologize beforehand for the following: I take a dim view of anyone feigning to be decades younger.  Like it or not, one of the many unimpeachable signs of age that cannot be hidden unless one plays at being the proverbial ‘dumb blonde’ is: ‘I remember…’ or ‘when I was young…’ or… At such times people look beyond the face and neck taut with cosmetics; the hands sans age spots, bulging veins, arthritic malformations, or the dyed gray. The clue was what was said.

I love my gray, though only salt and pepper. I love my wrinkles and cringe at the very thought of plastic surgeries, Botox, and whatever else claims to be the ultimate fountain of youth; but make exception of dental implants due to being edentulous. Those are vital to overall health. The gray hair, wrinkles, bifocals are my personal service stripes of life. Like a military person getting another stripe for time in grade. Am very proud of all and say ‘what you see is what you get. Don’t like what you see? Don’t look!’

Tally the accrued wisdom; the witnessed domestic and global historical events; all ample enough for TV’s Jeopardy. The personal experiences, even the bittersweet ones, going way back to when your world was young. Perhaps you’ve traveled in the ‘70s, ‘80s and ‘90s, you may recall that unlike today there were no crushing crowds; saw Hawaiian Islands, Machu Pichu, Uluru (Ayer’s Rock), the terracotta warriors, or suchlike in unchanged original setting before the hunger for tourists money struck; inundating with hotels, swimming pools and other rubbish for the sake of tourism. I can’t say I blame them – the countries, that is – I only shed tears for the loss of the original character. How very easy to destroy; how impossible to turn the clock back.

As I end this epistle, I am actually looking forward to acquiring a ‘pen pal’ someday. That is, if anyone would be interested in such with me. That would really be cat’s pajamas.

Thanks for reading!

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 38
Age is nothing but a number. LIVE each day as best you can. Every breath we take is a gift no matter our age. Just be you! DO YOU! LIVE! Smiley Happy
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Comment: How Do You View Old Age And Getting Older?

Message 36 of 38

Thank you SIMPLEGAL! 😃

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Comment: How Do You View Old Age And Getting Older?

Message 37 of 38

j196497j,

Ditto!  But I do miss my carefree days of youth.  

I enjoy your posts....!

SMILE.jpg

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

How Do You View Old Age And Getting Older?

Message 38 of 38

I don't like getting older with all its downfall, yet I don't worry about aging either. I reasonably plan ahead for growing older, not just having a simple piggy bank, but I prepare ahead by mentally and emotionally by trying to live a healthy lifestyle. At the end of the day: I no longer say I'm growing older. I say I'm becoming more "seasoned" with time. 😀😃

Kudos
Views
Replies