Watch AARP’s Movies for Grownups awards show online! View the streaming video on PBS.

Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: How Do You View Old Age And Getting Older?

Message 1 of 38

All I can say is rock on baby!

Be an example for all and keep going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 38

@ip3285 wrote:

Getting older?   Yesterday morning I went for a short walk/run and then to the dentist who checked my new implants for my future new teeth.  See, new teeth aren't just for kids!  Then my husband and I went to our favorite soup and salad restaurant where I had a coupon for a free lunch. I ate lots, and finished it off with a dinner plate on which I'd piled a chocolate muffin topped with vanilla and chocolate soft serve, chocolate syrup and caramel syrup.  I got smiles from other diners, and a round of applause from the people at the next table when I finished the "whole thing".  Later at home I opened cards and gifts that had been sent by family and friends.  My older son, who just turned 56, ordered me a birthday cake at Baskin Robbins (yummy).  I received over a dozen cards and 15 e-birthday cards.  What a fun day.  I thought about the past year:  I finally finished my dissertation and got my PhD.  I joined a coloring club at the library and socialize and color every Thursday.  Still running, walking and swimming.  I write weekly articles for an online ezine to keep my brain active.  Wonderful children and other family members, great friends.  Yesterday was my 79th birthday, but I'm saying I'm now in my 80th year - it sounds more impressive!  Getting older?  It's what you make of it, and I plan to make the most of it.

Wow!  How impressive and awe inspiring!  It is so beautiful to find someone still so vibrant and actively DOING life!  You have a very full life and are truly blessed.  And you are right  when you said, "Getting older?  It's what you make of it and I plan to make the most of it."  I'm with YOU!  So I better get started!!!  Smile.

And by the way, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!!

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 38

You may not be able to have door delivery, but you can use your mailbox to get stamps.  Simply ask for the envelope to do so and enclose  a check for the amount that you want.  It does save on gas.  Could you possibly think of the walk to your mailbox as your exercise for the day?

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 38

Do go to your senior citizens center often.  They offer many activities and it will keep you connected instead of isolating yourself.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 38

@s804940b wrote:

I think there are quite a few of us that do not feel our age.  I have never liked the word retirement either.  It sounds like waiting for death to me.  I still work part time and volunteer.  I feel more seniors would benefit from seeing their doctor's and getting on an antidepressant.  My husband did and is a changed man well into his 70's.  Brain chemistry ages just like the rest of our bodies and a positive outlook on life is essential.

I agree with you about continuing to work and keeping up with life.  My friends keep asking me when I'm going to retire and I just tell them when I get ready.  I'm not quite ready yet.  Who knows, maybe one day I'll wake up and say to myself that I've had enough and then I'll do it!  But as for now, I'm sticking with it and feeling no worse for wear.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 38

@mimi0000 wrote:

Getting old?  Well, I got there.  And soon I am going to live alone after living with a daughter.  Yes,

at 88 I'm going it alone.... and get away from Northern Winters. There are so many conveniences that

make living alone easier than it used to be. I can avoid going to shop by ordering from Amazon and a local Supper Market that delivers groceries.  Uber can  to take me to appointments.   And all the entertainment I need is on TV.  Email, phone and Facebook will keep me in touch with friends and 

family.

I'm looking forward to being on my own -- and if it doesn't work out I'll  find a Senior facility.

Only one problem so far,  and that is the US  Postal service. I am unable to walk to the Mail

Center to get my mail... but  they will not deliver to your door unless you have a Doctor state that

you have health problems.  Isn't getting this old a health problem in itself?

What a new and big adventure for you--living on your own.  I don't know if you've already begun your transition to the new locale, but whatever...I just wish you the best and many blessings.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 38

Getting old?  Well, I got there.  And soon I am going to live alone after living with a daughter.  Yes,

at 88 I'm going it alone.... and get away from Northern Winters. There are so many conveniences that

make living alone easier than it used to be. I can avoid going to shop by ordering from Amazon and a local Supper Market that delivers groceries.  Uber can  to take me to appointments.   And all the entertainment I need is on TV.  Email, phone and Facebook will keep me in touch with friends and 

family.

I'm looking forward to being on my own -- and if it doesn't work out I'll  find a Senior facility.

Only one problem so far,  and that is the US  Postal service. I am unable to walk to the Mail

Center to get my mail... but  they will not deliver to your door unless you have a Doctor state that

you have health problems.  Isn't getting this old a health problem in itself?

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 38

I think there are quite a few of us that do not feel our age.  I have never liked the word retirement either.  It sounds like waiting for death to me.  I still work part time and volunteer.  I feel more seniors would benefit from seeing their doctor's and getting on an antidepressant.  My husband did and is a changed man well into his 70's.  Brain chemistry ages just like the rest of our bodies and a positive outlook on life is essential.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 38

My wife often reminds me that the 'number' is only that--a number. I'm fortunate to still feel like I have pretty good health as well as physical well being and few if any complaints. Once in awhile I feel a little 'achy' but overall, I view the age 'number' is ONLY a number (I'm almost 70), and I literally do not feel that 'old'.. Lots of mental activity (woodworking is a constant 'new' hobby, and I find it often mentally challenging--more math in my head than one would even expect!  I build furniture for my children, and even once in awhile something for us. I have putchased a scroll saw which is an interesting outlet for trying to be precise as well as creative...a good combo! 

SO-how do I view 'old age and aging'?  I am enjoying the freedom of 'retirement' a word I don't like as it makes it sound like I'm sitting on the porch in a rocker and that is far from the truth! I recently joined the local chapter of Rotary and find the members to be lively/friendly and active and it's fun to meet and make new friends and get out of the house once a week!

Aging is clearly a state of mind and as long as I have good health, I continue to not feel my chronological age!!  I'm most grateful!

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 38

You have such a good attitude.  Most seniors could learn from you.

Kudos
Views