Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How Do You View Old Age And Getting Older?

Message 21 of 40

In year 2014 i was working at a resort in Minnesota  was 55 at the time....as it  turns out it was to be my very last job as a chef....as summer rolled along pains my lower back and feet lower legs were crippling me....so I came back to Chicago to get checked out...first I learned I had spinal stenosis,arthritis  of my lower spine and my knees....then I found out had sever neuropathy  of lower legs and feet...and in 2018 things have gotten worse....so as I turn 60 soon I sit and wonder how fast all of this will provress

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 40

I don't care about getting older.  Numbers don't scare me! (unless it's math, math scares me) Sometimes when I'm asked my age, when I say it out loud it surprises me!  When I was young I never thought I would get this old or at least I wouldn't get this age this fast!  By the way, I'm 67.  And as others have said each day is a gift and I look at it that way always, and am so grateful for all the blessings God has given me.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 40

I am glad I was born in this age span, the world was a back breaking place with hard times and an early death. We are what has been deamed the greatest gereration, and rightly so, we have made tghe greatest progress in living the good life of any generation in history. We are the greatest and the last generation to enjoy the fruits of our labors. The people that will control the world in just a few years will control a world over run with violence and a shirinking lifestyle.When I step out of this world I won't look back because its best day are in the past while are just ahead or what's a heaven for. President Trump is giving us 8 years and you had best make the most of them!      

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Comment: How Do You View Old Age And Getting Older?

Message 24 of 40

I view getting older as another cycle in the journey. The good news is, I'm more at peace, happier, financially secure, healthy, eat organically and blessed with a great family. I am actively involved in my community and have several volunteer jobs. I would recommend to anyone that is retired to get involved in your community and volunteer. Happiness is enhanced when we give back. It's what life is all about.

"The Meaning of Life is to Find your Gift, The Purpose of Life is to Give it Away"

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 40

My only regret as I've been 50+ for decades is waiting to quit smoking until after I turned 52. Other than that, I'm enjoying the heck out of being "more mature."

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 40

I agree with most of what you have said and applaud your great attitude.  There are a few things that I do that I will not give up though.  I do color my hair and have done so since I was 13.  I exercise and stay somewhat thin.  I use a lot of both face and body lotion.  I use dental whitening trays, but only whiten to a natural light color.  I consider it looking my best for my age.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 40

I think you have a great attitude and are a very positive person.  I am quite sure the job loss and the loss of your marriage were big blows, but you are handling it.  Do go to your nearest SHIP office for your medicare.  They are so great at helping you pick a supplemental policy and will compare many in a short amount of time.  It really does save you from having to read through the very long and boring medicare.gov site and you will not have to deal with so many calls bothering you for sign ups.  PS-You are better off without the jerk.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 40

Getting older?   Yesterday morning I went for a short walk/run and then to the dentist who checked my new implants for my future new teeth.  See, new teeth aren't just for kids!  Then my husband and I went to our favorite soup and salad restaurant where I had a coupon for a free lunch. I ate lots, and finished it off with a dinner plate on which I'd piled a chocolate muffin topped with vanilla and chocolate soft serve, chocolate syrup and caramel syrup.  I got smiles from other diners, and a round of applause from the people at the next table when I finished the "whole thing".  Later at home I opened cards and gifts that had been sent by family and friends.  My older son, who just turned 56, ordered me a birthday cake at Baskin Robbins (yummy).  I received over a dozen cards and 15 e-birthday cards.  What a fun day.  I thought about the past year:  I finally finished my dissertation and got my PhD.  I joined a coloring club at the library and socialize and color every Thursday.  Still running, walking and swimming.  I write weekly articles for an online ezine to keep my brain active.  Wonderful children and other family members, great friends.  Yesterday was my 79th birthday, but I'm saying I'm now in my 80th year - it sounds more impressive!  Getting older?  It's what you make of it, and I plan to make the most of it.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 40

If you are 66, you do qualify for Medicare and have since you were 65.  I may be reading your post wrong and some of your problems may have started prior to turning 65 though.  Look for all of the free resources you can.  There are many out there, but you do have to perservere.  I know your situation is not a good one.  Best of luck to you.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 40

Since I turned 50, 16 years ago, I have a number of heart attacks, strokes, lung collapes, and other medical issues. I just had my right shoulder replaced and now rehabbing. It is hard and painful. I lost my civilian job due to the company I worked for felt I was too expensive for their insurance so off I went after 20 years. I was part and full time, the top producer in the company for 19 years in a row but none of that mattered. I lost my home, all of my invested money.

What gets to me most is how little we are cared about by government. I had a destroyed shoulder and couldn't do much yet I could not get any help as Medicare said I wasn't one who qualified for anything under their rules. Amazing! So I had to use shopping services, get a  home cleaner and arrange transportation and then stay home, isolated.

Aways active there was little I could do. I did get some rehab for my useless shoulder in my condo as it had to be worked s it would not get overly stiff ad cause more problems after surgery. It is stiff yet could be alot worse.

The health care system is a mess and cares more about money then us. We really have to get active and force for better health care, more benefits, more Medicare benefits, not cuts, better food stamps for those that need them. Not 16 dollars a month as it is here if you ever Social Security in any form ad it is over 1,000 monthly. Let's be real about the need for a good diet and the higher cost. 

They will take from us unless we band together and make them hear us! it

Kudos
Views