Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How 85 y-o & Her Cat Survived 5 Frigid Days Stranded in Colorado

Message 1 of 7

@linadixie, I hope you'll find here worthwhile information and plenty of conversations from lighthearted chatting to deeper discussions.

Thanks for the info regarding the blankets. Always good to get first hand reports on products. Smiley Happy  I think I'll pick up a pair of these for our forays into the Rocky Mountain backcountry.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

Thank you for welcoming me!

The blankets work great.  I bought one for each of my children and grand children and they love them. Warms up nicely. 

The only issue is cleaning them if something spills on them.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

@linadixie wrote:
Wow, How scary. I have Blankets in our vehicles, they can plug in and warm up.

@linadixie First and foremost; welcome to the forums!

Yes, this could have been a story with a tragic ending, for sure.

Your blankets sound awesome. I've seen them online but don't have one. How do you like yours? 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7
Wow, How scary. I have Blankets in our vehicles, they can plug in and warm up.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

We live in an area where it can snow any day of the year, so our vehicles always have emergency gear in them.  These kits include chains, first aid items, flares, food, mittens, extra socks, rain gear, sweat pants, jackets, hats. DH always carries his phone, but cell service is not guaranteed. For trips away from town, he carries his GPS as well, and we have an area map as well as a snow shovel. We always carry plenty of water and a blanket. If we are heading to the mountains, we drive the vehicle with snow tires. And because we live in the sticks where dirt roads are a part of life, we drive 4WDs.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

Good for her for surviving this emergency.

The story says she had a small amount of food for her and some food for her cat. She melted snow for water and created blankets out of clothing she had in the car.

What other emergency preparedness tips do you know, or would you suggest for surviving such an emergency?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

How 85 y-o & Her Cat Survived 5 Frigid Days Stranded in Colorado

Message 7 of 7

I figured this story introduced opportunity for us to chat about emergency preparedness. Share your tips!

Self-described “farm girl” Ruby Stein from Akron, Colorado, took a wrong turn on her way home that nearly ended her life.

For about 20 miles, 85-year-old Ruby Stein wrestled her 2007 Nissan Sentra up an unpaved, steep mountain road south of Gypsum. She was lost and searching for Interstate 70 after taking a wrong turn while trying to beat a winter storm home.

Instead of heading toward I-70, she drove farther and farther away from civilization into the LEDE Reservoir area in Eagle County, way outside cellphone range. Stein says she realized right away how serious her situation was.

“I went as far as I could possibly go, I guess,” Stein said. “I tried to get up on the snow to keep traction, out of the mud, and my driver-side wheel went down into the mud — and that’s where I stayed.”

Read the entire Denver Post story:  http://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/29/ruby-stein-colorado-mountains-survival/

Kudos
Views
Replies