Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Have you ever celebrated May Day?

Message 11 of 17

When I was growing up, on May 1st, all the kids in the neighborhood would hang a paper cone with flowers & candy in it from door knobs of friends. And, at school, we usually shared candy with others, or made May baskets to share with friends that didn't live in our neighborhood. It was a lot of fun, but, we stopped when we got into Junior High. I miss those days though. It was a much simpler time. & none of the meanness of these days went on back then. We could be outside until dark, & nobody ever bothered any of us. I'm sure there were bad people in our town, but nobody that I knew, knew any of them.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 17

When I was a child, in school we would all get in a circle,andgrab apice of string/ ribbon and dance around the flag pole, it was a lot of fun, i was in the 6th grade at 144 elementary school. And that was the last time i remember anything being done for may day

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 17

As a small child I remember children hanging little cones of flowers off of the front door knob.  We moved when I was almost 4 and the town we moved to didn't have any type of May celebration.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 17

May 1 is actually Labor Day in many European countries. When I was in Reykjavik, Iceland, many years ago, we didn't realize that and were wondering what the parade was about.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 17

Not a celebration, but an interesting sidelight. While visiting Madrid on May 1, 1982, I joined some festivities in a large park and was astonished to find red hammer and sickle posters everywhere. Finally understood that the “festival” was actually communist party rally. Made me uncomfortable as a US citizen. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 17

Absolutely! We danced around a May pole in grade school as well as made and delivered May Day baskets filled with flowers and sometimes candy on front door knobs.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Have you ever celebrated May Day?

Message 17 of 17

Did you dance around a May pole as a kid? Have you seen a May 1 parade (for Labor Day) in Europe? Or, do you have a special way you celebrate? Let us know! And share any photos if you have them.

Kudos
Views
Replies