Tell Congress to stop Rx greed and cut prescription drug prices now! Here’s how.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Have you ever celebrated May Day?

Message 1 of 17

When I was a  kid growing up in grammar school we celebrated May Day. That was my favorite day because eveybody would go outside and each class would have dance contests. We also had the 50 yard dash, the fastest kid from each class would race against other kids, and I was the fastest of my class. We had all kinds of games and all kinds of foods.We were allowed to stay outside  the entire school day. Also when May Day come and go I knew  the school out summer vacation was right around the corner.

BJ JOHNSON
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 17

I'm British living in the US. I lived in Germany for 12yrs and Mayday was a public holiday we would go for a walk practically all day dragging a small cart full of beer& schnapps all over the neighbour hood. It was a north German tradition and what a laugh that was, it was also the beginning of May week when the new Maibock (strong beer) came out. Prost

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 17
Yes, thanks for this insight. There are many different cultural practices in different areas of the country. It doesn't make it right or wrong, just different.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 17

When I was little, my Mom always made "May Baskets" to give out on May Day to our family, friends, and neighbors.  They were filled with flowers, candy, and baked goods.  We would knock on their door and hide before answered.  It was alway great fun to give them and to receive our own.  When I was in first grade, we moved from Northern Illinois to Western Kentucky.  I was so excited for May Day because I would get to experience the giving/receiving of May Baskets with a whole new group of friends and neighbors.  It was with great surprise that our May Baskets were met with less than stellar responses.  Many included confusion, and most were left on the porches where we put them.  There were also a few slammed doors and curse words.  I waite expectantly at home all afternoon for my own May Baskets but never received a single one.  While my Mom was comforting me over this, there was a knock on our door by a policeman.  He had received a report that we were "disturbing the peace" and "pranking our neighbors" by knocking on doors and running away.  I was terrified and ran to my room and hid.  Later my Mom came to explain to me that people in Kentucky didn't give May Baskets and thought we were playing a mean joke on them.  It was an early lesson for me in knowing how your actions will be interpreted by others.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 17

Yes I have been part of a May Day Celebration.  When I was a child the local recreation dept had college students who would work in the parks keeping children busy with games, crafts and the like.  I remember dancing around a May Pole one spring with the "park teacher" and the local kids.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 17

I usually celebrate Cinco de Mayo instead but I usually don’t remember anything about it.  Darn tequila!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 17
I grew up in the US Virgin Islands, a culturally rich community. We celebrated everyone's culture from African to European. It was traditional for all schools, public and private, to participate in "May Pole". We were all taught several dances and learned different ways to"plat" the Maypole. It was glorious to see each school's uniformed group represented on the field with their own pole. There were easily 30 colorful poles in the stadium. Crowds of people would come out for the event. A yearly cultural mix of food, music, costumes and dance was displayed on this day. It makes me smile as I remember those days.
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 17

When, I first moved to Washington state, I was so thrilled about living in the forest, our very backyard was the beginning.

Now, when I went to school that was a different story, the school was enclosed so I felt like I was in jail till I walked out into a open court, where you could feel fresh air and sunshine.  I felt alive. 

Then, May Day rolled into view which I didn't know the concept of what it entailed until they told me what it was about.  There were poles all erected in the court area.  Each child had a colored ribbon and took their ribbon and danced around the pole till it was completed covered.  The teacher asked me to take a ribbon and I refused.  I thought that was the most INSANE idea I ever heard of.  The teacher assured me that I would feel really happy about it.  I still refused.  I told the teacher that I would rather go out into the forest and be still and listen to all the sounds of the forest and breathe clean fresh air.  He shook his head and said - Just try it. I refused.

I stood back and watched the May Day celebration and thought the pole looked beautiful and wrote a story on it and it was displayed so all the parents could read and know of the colors.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 17

We would make a May cone basket at school and put cadies and litte flowers in them and hang on our homes doorknob.  In first grade we a  support pole in our classroom , the teacher decorated it and we danced around it. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 17

Yes, it's one of my favorite memories of childhood. May Day is Lei Day in Hawaii. Growing up here, all schools put on May Day programs with dances, singing, lei contests, a May Queen and King with court attendants, etc. All parents and family are invited + a special school lunch is made especially for them to participate with their children at school.

It was an annual thing to pick flowers and sew leis to wear to school on May Day. We went to our grandparents home and picked "crown" flowers and plumeria blossoms. My father would sometimes make a special "hala" lei from the bright yellow "seeds" or pods from lauhala trees.

This rich tradition continues today. It is celebrated State-wide. Today, May Day, my spouse is taking a day-off work.

Kudos
Views