Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Happiness Is Other People

Message 1 of 8

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@nyadrn - I do enjoy the company at the theater, because we almost always go out for dinner afterward, which I just wouldn't bother with going alone!

I have no immediate family left, and the distance to the cousins with whom I spend the major holidays, means we don't usually get together on a frequent basis. It's something close to a 3-hour round trip, since I moved to the shore; although it was never drop-by close.

@ASTRAEA  Well after I retire and relocate I will not be close to relatives except my son and so things will definitely change. I will have to see how social life will be.   

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 8

@nyadrn - I do enjoy the company at the theater, because we almost always go out for dinner afterward, which I just wouldn't bother with going alone!

I have no immediate family left, and the distance to the cousins with whom I spend the major holidays, means we don't usually get together on a frequent basis. It's something close to a 3-hour round trip, since I moved to the shore; although it was never drop-by close.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@nyadrn - There's such a dichotomy, with people "not interacting" with others .. yet so many absolutely addicted to social media & their phones! Perhaps because I live alone & enjoy the solitude, I have a high standard for the friends & organizations with whom I'm involved, and have learned to be quicker to eliminate/minimize time with ones who are "high maintenance" or draining.

I belong to several organizations that meet regularly, and have noticed that I gravitate towards those members whose company I enjoy, making sure I sit further away from the "pot stirrers". In the past year or so, I also went from attending the theater by myself all the time (easier to get tix), to reaching out to a handful of friends, asking who might be interested in going with me.

@ASTRAEA  I live alone as well and enjoy it and I am picky about how I spend my time off because I still work full time.  If there is a get together that I don't want to go to I say no.  I do however spend regular time with family members and friends.  I just don't feel the need to go someplace with someone all the time.  

I do see the continued increase in social media involvement as compared to going out like we did when I was young. 

Do you enjoy the company when going to the theater?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

@nyadrn - There's such a dichotomy, with people "not interacting" with others .. yet so many absolutely addicted to social media & their phones! Perhaps because I live alone & enjoy the solitude, I have a high standard for the friends & organizations with whom I'm involved, and have learned to be quicker to eliminate/minimize time with ones who are "high maintenance" or draining.

I belong to several organizations that meet regularly, and have noticed that I gravitate towards those members whose company I enjoy, making sure I sit further away from the "pot stirrers". In the past year or so, I also went from attending the theater by myself all the time (easier to get tix), to reaching out to a handful of friends, asking who might be interested in going with me.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

Do you belong to any group, be it one or two other people or a bigger group, family or friends that you get together with regularly?

Would you like to?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

I have a cure for this. Hang out at the Senior Games and/or with senior athletes! You will be filled to overflowing with a positive, can-do, beat-the-odds attitude. Every senior athlete I've spoken with or gotten to know has a long list of inspiring stories and behaviors. They'll set your feet on a good path. Quickly, too. Smiley Happy

And now, if you'll excuse me, I get to go riding and picnicing with a bunch of local senior athletes today. This is a must-not-miss event! Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

In other words, it is great to feel that happiness comes from within but taking it to the point that you have little contact with other people in your life is not a good thing either.

. claiming to be "in a relationship" with someone you have never met in real life

. Staying alone in your home and cutting yourself off from human contact

. Isolation.   

The less prople interact with others, the less kinship and understanding they develope.  

The new trend is worrisome as are lots of things taken to an extreme   

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

Happiness Is Other People

Message 8 of 8

Happiness Is Other People

>>

In an individualistic culture powered by self-actualization, the idea that happiness should be engineered from the inside out, rather than the outside in, is slowly taking on the status of a default truism. This is happiness framed as journey of self-discovery, rather than the natural byproduct of engaging with the world; a happiness that stresses emotional independence rather than interdependence; one based on the idea that meaningful contentment can be found only by a full exploration of the self, a deep dive into our innermost souls and the intricacies and tripwires of our own personalities. Step 1: Find Yourself. Step 2: Be Yourself.

This isolationist philosophy is showing up not just in the way that many Americans talk about happiness, but in how they spend their time. People who study these things have observed a marked increase in solitary “happiness pursuits” — activities carried out either completely alone or in a group without interaction — with the explicit aim of keeping each person locked in her own private emotional experience.

Spiritual and religious practice is slowly shifting from a community-based endeavor to a private one, with silent meditation retreats, mindfulness apps and yoga classes replacing church socials and collective worship. The self-help industry — with its guiding principle that the search for happiness should be an individual, self-focused enterprise — is booming, with Americans spending more than $1 billion on self-help books a year to help guide them on their inner journeys. Meanwhile, “self-care” has become the new going out.

But while placing more and more emphasis on seeking happiness within, Americans in general are spending less and less time actually connecting with other people. Nearly half of all meals eaten in this country are now eaten alone. Teenagers and young millennials are spending less time just “hanging out” with their friends than any generation in recent history, replacing real-world interaction with smartphones.

And it’s not just young people. The Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Time Use Survey shows that the average American now spends less than four minutes a day “hosting and attending social events,” a category that covers all types of parties and other organized social occasions. That’s 24 hours a year, barely enough to cover Thanksgiving dinner, and your own child’s birthday party.>>

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/10/27/opinion/sunday/happiness-is-other-people.html?emc=edit_th_2017...

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Replies