Today, 1 in 7 Seniors Live in Poverty -- AARP Foundation is Fighting to End Senior Poverty. Read More.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Grey hair - embrace it or dye it?

Message 71 of 75

Here's a Pinterest page featuring the grey ombre trend:

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/grey-ombre-hair/

These are gorgeous! Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 72 of 75
  • Embrace it! No doubt. My mother is 79 and still colors her hair regularly. I'm 61 and very gray. Different generations, I guess. We are only 18 years apart but have very different views of the world and our roles in it. I remember back when I was a teenager in the 70s. My mother kept trying to get me wear make up. It seemed strange to me since I had young, healthy skin. She has never left the house without her 'face on'...seemed a creepy way of saying it to me. I sometimes wear make up now but not regularly. I like my grey hair - as a mother myself and now a proud Nana, I've earned every one of these naturally grey strands and gleaming patches. How about you?

Message 73 of 75

@AARPTeri - Young people can afford to play with gray, silver & white streaks, because everyone can see that the rest of their appearance is young. I've lightened & highlighted my hair since I was a teenager, and it darkened from the blond it was when I was a child. I have no desire to go gray, and remove any doubt about how old I am! Smiley Wink I do think that highlighting is a softer way of retaining color, than going full blond or something else. I've known women who've colored their hair a jet black or bright red, well into their 80s, and it looked too harsh & unnatural.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 74 of 75

I began to turn gray in my 30s, and dyed my hair a slightly redder color for the next 20 years.

I stopped coloring it a few years into my fifties. I'm now snow white except for a bit of reddish-chestnut colored hair at the nape of my neck (which shows up nicely when I wear a braid.) My hair is halfway down my back, and naturally curly, though I often take the curl out.

I'm 58 and loving my gray. Aside from those chalk sticks one uses to temporarily color their hair blue, et cetera, I'll never color my hair again.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Community Manager

Grey hair - embrace it or dye it?

Message 75 of 75

When do you decide to let it go grey?  There is a new trend for a grey ombre for younger people, which is funny since we all avoid the grey as we age.  When did you stop coloring or will you ever stop?

Share your story.

AARPTeri