How can you keep your personal information safe from online scammers on the dark web? Find out on AARP Live at 10 p.m. ET.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Grey hair - embrace it or dye it?

Message 61 of 76

I started graying early, in my twenties.  I tried all sorts of ways to cover it as I did not want to be gray.  I was all over the color spectrum for years and it became more and more difficult to cover for long the increasing whiteness.  When I was 49 I experienced that terrible once in a lifetime headache, an aneurysm.  Surgery to repair it and save my life meant shaving my head.  I decided as I was rolled in to surgery that whatever grew back on my head is what color I would be.  As my

hair grew back friends either loved it ot hated it.  I liked it!  It was easy, it softened my features.  I am nearing 76 now and am almost fully white.  I get many compliments.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Grey hair - embarace it or dye it?

Message 62 of 76

I embrace my gray hair!!!! I love it !! Its all natural!!!! While some a adding gray strands and dye I have it naturally.😇😇😇😇😇

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 76

I embrace it I did is so liberating especially when you have to keep up with the maintenance of dyieng your hair almost every 3 weeks. Got a shirt pixie hair cut and I am loving it.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 76

I look at it this way, I may have grey hair (not a lot yet, but getting there), but I have earned it!  I've done a lot of living. Working etc.  I am not worried about it.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 76

I've done nothing I have them and embarrass them to me they are signs of wisdom 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 76

@Epster - There's a big difference between someone young - like that model - changing their hair color as part of a fashion statement, like making the ends of your hair gray/white .. so everyone knows the roots are still dark, and having gray hair because it's no longer growing in the color you've been naturally the earlier part of your life.

Are you going to post a photo of yourself after your ombre experiment .. at least from the back?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 76

I saw grey ombre 'in the wild' yesterday. It was gorgeous!

grey-ombre-hair-25.jpg

I love gray hair.

So anyway, I decided to go find a YouTube tutorial for anyone here looking to mix it up with a grey ombre. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 76

Boy, I dunno about keeping the same look. I think that gets stale. I like to switch things up. Sometimes I wear red and orange tips. Other times I'll put in a blue, red, orange or purple streak. Sometimes I wear a pony tail or braid. Sometimes I wear curls; other times I straighten my hair.

Just last week I cut the bangs differently. This past summer I let my hair grow to just above the middle of my back, which is the longest I've ever worn it. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 76

catwoman500 wrote:

@ASTRAEA, I agree! Highlighting is my thing. I always feel so much fresher and brighter when the highlighting is done. I'm not due for another month or so, but I sure know when it's time. I hope my hairdresser never moves or retires because she knows exactly how to get it right. They always say to go lighter as you age because of the harshness the darker dyes bring to your skin color. I've always been a blonde, so I know no different. The gray coming in helps a little...we call it Mother Nature's highlights. Cat Very Happy

@nanaboss, good for you!Cat Very Happy I wish I was that brave. As for myself, I don't even gather the trash bins without hair done and make-up on. I must be like your mother. I call it "getting human!" Cat LOL Which I have to do soon as I have errands to run.

Boy when you find a good hairdresser you hang on to them!  I have had the same great lady for many years..  it is so easy, she knows exactly how I like my hair and you get the same look and results.   

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 76

@catwoman500 - Last August - the day right after my birthday & only 2 days after being at the hair salon - I got an e-mail from them that my stylist of 9 years had left the salon! She'd gotten more & more involved as an educator traveling all over the country doing training for a product line the salon featured .. until they switched brands a couple of years ago. She had reached a level where the product company expected her to work in a salon that featured their products, so she had to change salons! I was lucky that we were friends on Facebook, and I reached out to her for a replacement recommendation. The salon was very nice in offering me 50% off all services, for the rest of 2017, if I stayed with them .. can't turn that down! I like the new woman too.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views