Caring for a loved one? Find a part-time job that fits your schedule. Search the AARP Job Board.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Grey hair - embrace it or dye it?

Message 41 of 78

I think everyone should do what they are comfortable with.  My hair is short and gray/silver and I like it.  My hairdresser says "we've earned every gray hair on our heads!"  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 78

Before my first grey hair I said I would never color my hair as I wanted to be "natural."  My first grey hair changed that belief.  I went running to a stylist and continued to color my hair until I retired.  Upon retirement I again tried to go "natural."  That lasted 9 months.  My hair was not the beautiful grey I admire on many women but a dull mottle of brown and grey.  I ran back to my stylist and have colored ever since.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 78

I'm 68 now, and about 2-3 years ago, got tired of coloring and then seeing roots within 2 weeks.  I decided to have it highlighted to help blend the process and let it turn whatever.  To my surprise it is a very light gray, even white around my face.  When I saw my daughter-in-law, who is a beautician, at Christmas, she said "you have the color everyone wants right now".  So glad I did it!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 78

I found my first two gray hairs at 26 and I had a field day pulling them out, checking every day for new ones and then bleaching my hair for the next twenty five years.  Now I look at how all the gray frames my wrinkled face and am in total acceptance of it.  It shows my age, my love and worry for my family, and that I’ve made it this long on a fabulous journey you only get to go on once.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 78

Do not care.  Those vain individuals who show up suddenly with jet-black hair are not fooling anyone.  My kids will tell you that I earned every one of my grey hairs.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 78

You go girl!!!! I really want Lavendar hair. My own hair is dishwater brown, mousy with dull gray, except for the front around my face which is platinum. I have the rest dyed an ash color and like it pretty well. Really, really want shiny beautiful gray with strands of lavendar. I envy thouse with beautiful white hair like my dad and brother have. 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 78
@c191366800 You can try those hair colors that wash out in one washing. I've seen them at Target. Then if you don't like it, you can change it.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 78

you could be bald so gray is better

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 78

I embrace it.  I once tried a rinse to see what I thought but it was messy with dye getting on my towels with each hair washing.  I just didn't feel it was worth the time and effort.  I'll be 75 this coming April and fortunate to have inherited my grandmother's good genes with only the fringes around my face, nape of neck and a small portion of my crown turning white.  The rest of my hair has stayed brown.  My hair is cut every four or five weeks keeping it short and manageable.  It works for me!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 78
I wish I had the nerve to try a funky color.
Kudos
Views