Today, 1 in 7 Seniors Live in Poverty -- AARP Foundation is Fighting to End Senior Poverty. Read More.

Silver Conversationalist

Re: Grey hair - embrace it or dye it?

Message 31 of 75

My facial hair is getting grey and it's coming in on my mop as well! My wife is getting a lot of grey and i absolutely love it! I personally find grey as sexy on a lady, but that's just how i feel. Ladies don't think going grey is bad,as i said it's a very sexy and beautiful thing!! 

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 32 of 75

.No way in hell will I ever let my hair go grey. I am married to a man 20 years my junior for 24 years.  My sons are 20 and twins who are 18. I will not go gentle into this goodnight.

Silver Conversationalist

Message 33 of 75

Epster, I wish I could have some way to see myself with platuim hair.  I think it is so pretty.  My hubby told me to just go do it and have it touched up every 2 weeks like I do with my nails.  He is just to good to me!!  I might just jump in there.  I really don't have that much grey but MAYBE!!!  Who know 2 years ago I would never of had acrylic nails either.  I might be just a little ol G-MA with new nails and a new do too.  I am going to get it cut soon.  I love the PIXIE.  This is my new phase.  LOL

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 34 of 75

s166280s wrote:

to let my hair color get me down.  If only I had all white instead of some what comig in!!  I had an Aunt who's hair seemed to go total white grey over night.  My mom (poor mom) had what I call skunk pee grey, it looked like it  was yellow.  Now if mine gets lke that I am done!!  I wll  color it so fast you won't even know what wizzed by you.  My hubby being the sweet man he is, told me that he liked the grey streaks on the sides of my hair.  Let there be PLATINUM Hair ye in my future!!

@s166280s  May I suggest that you keep your (eventual) white hair white with a bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide in your shower? (Available at Walmart for less than a buck a bottle) Once a month I wet my hair, then squirt some peroxide on it (keep the peroxide out of your eyes) and let it sit while I shower. Then I rinse out the peroxide and shampoo as usual. This keeps that yellowing from happening. I understand that the yellowing is from hand oil and such. 

Another trick for keeping a brilliant white head of hair is to use a shampoo and conditioner that is purple. (Check this out: https://softerhair.com/six-purple-toning-shampoos-for-gray-hair/)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Silver Conversationalist

Message 35 of 75

to let my hair color get me down.  If only I had all white instead of some what comig in!!  I had an Aunt who's hair seemed to go total white grey over night.  My mom (poor mom) had what I call skunk pee grey, it looked like it  was yellow.  Now if mine gets lke that I am done!!  I wll  color it so fast you won't even know what wizzed by you.  My hubby being the sweet man he is, told me that he liked the grey streaks on the sides of my hair.  Let there be PLATINUM Hair ye in my future!!

Conversationalist

Message 36 of 75

The year I retired, I got high lights on my all-over-blond hair color and started to grow my gray out.  It took 3 years and I was surprised and pleased, not only with my natural blond-gray color, but the added benefits of healthier hair and money savings for hair appts!!  I encourage all my baby boomer pals to embrace their natural gray and love it!!  I do!!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 37 of 75

ASTRAEA wrote:

@Epster - There's a big difference between someone young - like that model - changing their hair color as part of a fashion statement, like making the ends of your hair gray/white .. so everyone knows the roots are still dark, and having gray hair because it's no longer growing in the color you've been naturally the earlier part of your life.

Are you going to post a photo of yourself after your ombre experiment .. at least from the back?

@ASTRAEA  Sorry for the tardy reply. I didn't see your post.

So anyway, hey, I said it was beautiful, but never said I was gonna try ombre. I mean, I might, I guess, one day decide to do so, but sheesh, from what I've seen, the trend is dark on top and gray on the bottom. I'm now snow white on the top with a bit of amber/chestnut hair mixing in beginning at the ears and getting darker toward the nape of the neck (with white from on top covering that). So I'd have to dye the crown half of my head dark and bleach the lower half white to get the trendy look. 

Seeing as I have spent about 10 minutes in a beauty supply store in the past 10 years and less time than that in a beauty shop in the past 25, I think it's safe to say that I'm gonna let this trend pass me by.

I really enjoy my gray hair. And actually, I really like looking my age.

My two cents on aging/graying: it seems to me that women who try to hide their age are aiding and abetting ageism. Why should we hide gray hair? Why should we try not to age? Why should we take a year or two off our chronological age? If growing old is something to be ashamed of, frankly, I didn't get the memo. And I'm just not gonna do it. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 38 of 75

I think everyone should do what they are comfortable with.  My hair is short and gray/silver and I like it.  My hairdresser says "we've earned every gray hair on our heads!"  

Info Seeker

Message 39 of 75

Before my first grey hair I said I would never color my hair as I wanted to be "natural."  My first grey hair changed that belief.  I went running to a stylist and continued to color my hair until I retired.  Upon retirement I again tried to go "natural."  That lasted 9 months.  My hair was not the beautiful grey I admire on many women but a dull mottle of brown and grey.  I ran back to my stylist and have colored ever since.  

Info Seeker

Message 40 of 75

I'm 68 now, and about 2-3 years ago, got tired of coloring and then seeing roots within 2 weeks.  I decided to have it highlighted to help blend the process and let it turn whatever.  To my surprise it is a very light gray, even white around my face.  When I saw my daughter-in-law, who is a beautician, at Christmas, she said "you have the color everyone wants right now".  So glad I did it!