You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Use code '2019' to save 25 percent now.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Grey hair - embrace it or dye it?

Message 21 of 78

I've been dying my hair since college, long before it ever started turning grey.  At 55, I have no plans to stop dying now or in the near future.  I suppose at some point I may go natural but I love the fact that I can have any color hair I want and have spent decades playing with my hair color.  It's just who I am and I love it.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 78

The question for me is will it turn all white, like my beard, before it all falls out.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 78

I will be 74 years young in May and don't look my age . My grey just started to come in on the sides and a little in the front, just like my Mother's did . I have been asked over many years what color hair dye do I use and when I say I don't dye my hair people don't beleive me. My hair is very dark, almost black . I also have decided to embrace my grey, I have earned it , as they say " To each his own " Whatever makes you happy you should do for yourself, not for anyone else .

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 78

@cl91366800 wrote:
I wish I had the nerve to try a funky color.

@cl91366800, You can experiment with clip in streaks! They are relatively inexpensive and you can cut them to whatever length you want. I got pink ones on Amazon and I use them during October for Breast Cancer awareness. month. It's fun and funky!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 78

As an Asian American I have always looked at least 10 to 15 years younger than my real age. At the age of 21 I looked way younger then 21. This continued until I reached the of 28 when bartenders stopped carding me. For 7 years people didn't believe I was of age. It became a real drag to be asked for my ID card so because of that experience going gray or white haired was a relief though even today people are surprised to hear that I am 67 years old.

I still don't have much white hair among the black on my head. It is still mostly black. I have always looked forward to going white but it doesn't look like that will happen to me. Nearing 70 I'm never going to look like my age. It's unfortunate that my sister who is younger than me by 3 years colors her hair while I wish I had white hair but have very little white in my hair am doomed to never look my real age since I still have black hair even seen at a short distance from me.

So for me I have nevered colored my hair. Please don't tell me I'm so lucky because of those 7 years of of not being entitled to drink without an ID & sometimes nearly denied the right to drink the thought of always being assumed younger than what I was soured the whole experience for me. 

Janet Meeks
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 78

I had the same situation as Marlene getting white hair early in life but with an unexpected outcome. As a boy I had kinky auburn hair, and a classmate in the ninth grade nicknamed me "copper wire." My maternal grandmother was remembered for her beautiful white hair, and as early as my teens, my mother would point out little white hairs among the copper. At age thirty-three I received the trophy at a class reunion for "Most Gray Hair," even though it was white instead of gray. A few years later I moved to New York City and for years spent a lot of money to have a professional color over the white every three weeks. Once I asked him what I would look like if I let it grow out, and he wrapped a white towel around my head and said, "Like this." Scary. Eventually I started using Just for Men once a week and did so until after my sixtieth birthday. One day while in the barbershop, the young man who cuts my hair suggested that I let it grow out just to see how it looked. I credit him with changing my life. When it became white and I would walk into a room, heads would turn. For the first time in my life, I felt like a handsome man. Now my smile and my white hair attract a lot of attention, which is a new experience for someone who grew up as a four-eyed carrot top. I am grateful for my white hair.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 78

I have toying with the idea of letting my hair go grey. The problem is my hair will not be grey, it will be totally white, as my Mother's hair had been since she was in her 50's. She died at 97 with beautiful white hair. It's in the family. I am 67 and want to still work, so letting go white may be a deterament for me at this point. People tell me I don't look my age (67) and I am afraid going all white would be a real heart stopping shock. I have colored my hair since my first grey started at 34.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 78

I like looking a lot younger than I am and my grandmother (who lived to be 80) dyed her hair red every week at the hairdresser's so I do the same thing. I don't do it every week, but every six months or so. I just wish that red didn't fade faster than other colors. I'm not a big fan of grey hair on women (particularly myself) but it looks good on some men (think Richard Gere! <3

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 78

My first grey hair didn't bother me at all.  Waiting for it all to turn grey (I am about 75% gret now) as I like the color of grey that I have.  I have earned every grey hair on my head & proud of it!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 78

Try purple or magenta -- you get tons of compliments on those colors which will boost your confidence.  Magenta is neat because it fades to pink. 

It's great on grey streaked hair because I get all sorts of gradiations of color.

(I use an easy home coloring product I get on Amazon, no peroxide, one step...don't suppose I can post a product name here but it's P---y Color.)

Kudos
Views