Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Grey hair - embrace it or dye it?

Message 11 of 76

Gray hair, nope, no thanks.

I’m not crazy about the expense every 6 weeks, but I’d like to think personal maintenance is an investment in myself. I also get facials and nowadays I wear less makeup than I used to. Aging isn’t for sissies. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 76

I wish we had more positive thinkers like you on this planet, especially how things are today!! Love the grey!! Grey= Sexiness

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 76

we are ALL beautiful just the way we are already!  God made us one and all, and HE does not make junk.  Love yourself just the way you are 😊

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 76

I embraced my grey hair that begin to show around my temples.  My family doesn't grey very fast, but the grey around my temples will not be dyed. I feel that you should just grow old gracefully.  Now some grey hair is dull, yellowish and lifeless, so if that's you, you may want to try a rinse vs dye just to add to the luster of your hair.  There are many products out there that is just for grey hair, shampoos, conditioners, etc. so that if you decide to let the grey fly, you can do so with confidence.  Me personally, I decided to grow old gracefully, grey hair and all.  Each year that God gives me is a blessing and I'm not going to waste any of it on stressing about grey hairs.  My plan is too keep eating healthy, to get some form of exercise and to minimize as much stress out of my life as possible and enjoy each day as a gift that God has given me.  Like I tell my family and friends at each birthday...."You're not getting older, you're just livng longer " Smiley Surprised)

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 76

mamanconi wrote:

AND what a perfect time to go gray!  Young people are dying their hair gray!  I won't lie, going gray is a bit of a shock.  You loose all color.  But you learn to change up your makeup to work with your new look.  I'm still experimenting on making my eyes pop and using lighter lipsticks.  Going gray was the best thing I did for myself!

@mamanconi  That's a really good point. 

My gray hair actually brings out the green in my hazel eyes. And I am able to more successfully wear colors I could not when my hair was red. Indeed, my wardrobe has changed considerably as has my makeup. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 76

I started dying my hair because the hairline all around my forehead was white while all the rest of my hair was dark.  I did it for years and as more gray/white hair appeared, I was dying my hair every 3 weeks.  I was getting sick of it (and the cost was ridiculous), but I had no choice but to continue.  How was I going to grow it out!  Then I had to have this massive surgery and I would be house bound for months.  So I went to the hairdresseer and told her to cut my hair short because this was my chance to let my hair grow out.  Oh boy did she cut my hair.  I had about an inch of dark hair and the rest was gray and white.  Two hair cuts later and my hair was GERORGEOUS!!!!!!  Because of all that white in my hair, it looked like I dyed my hair gray and frosted it with white.  I got so many compliments I couldn't believe it.  AND what a perfect time to go gray!  Young people are dying their hair gray!  I won't lie, going gray is a bit of a shock.  You loose all color.  But you learn to change up your makeup to work with your new look.  I'm still experimenting on making my eyes pop and using lighter lipsticks.  Going gray was the best thing I did for myself!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 76

I got my first grey hairs in my early twenties.  Not once in my life have I ever dyed it.  At age 67, I now am mostly grey but get many compliments on my long straight grey hair.  I don't believe women should hide their greys.  I had twin boys at age 18 and earned all my grey hairs.  My family also has a genetic tendency to go grey young.  I fully embrace it and am glad I never destroyed my hair with dyes and perms and other things people do.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Please don't chuckle!

Message 18 of 76

I frost my hair at the salon to add more grey! My face and body look senior citizen, complete with wrinkles, padding and sag.  My family has been fortunate to have a gene that keeps the grey away for well into our 70s and 80s.  But when I don't frost my mousey dirty blonde, it looks like I am dyeing it to look younger.  Trust me, it just doesn't fit the rest of my  "outfit" when left natural.  I have some grey starting, but until it befits my looks, I'm adding it.

amcoffiebean
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 76

I've been dying my hair since college, long before it ever started turning grey.  At 55, I have no plans to stop dying now or in the near future.  I suppose at some point I may go natural but I love the fact that I can have any color hair I want and have spent decades playing with my hair color.  It's just who I am and I love it.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 76

The question for me is will it turn all white, like my beard, before it all falls out.

Kudos
Views