Medicare open enrollment has begun! Learn all about it in AARP's guide to Medicare made easy.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Grey hair - embrace it or dye it?

Message 1 of 76

@AARPTeri wrote:

When do you decide to let it go grey?  There is a new trend for a grey ombre for younger people, which is funny since we all avoid the grey as we age.  When did you stop coloring or will you ever stop?

Share your story.

Well, as for me and for the time being, my dark hairs far outnumber the grey and I do not color my hair at all.  So I guess I'm embracing the dark hair for now.  But when the grey starts to overtake, I may decide to dry it to match.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 76

I'm not knocking anyone who chooses to dye their hair, it's a personal choice! 

I don't like beauty parlors, I'm not good at doing fancy things to my own hair, and as I have very few wrinkles though 4 days short of turning 70, I chose not to dye! 

My daughter and all her friends, male and female, dye their hair. ..so this is strictly my personal choice. 

If you feel better with dyed hair, go for it! 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 76

How wonderful for YOU!  But I perfer to continue to dye.  Thank you,

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 76

Embrace it. After dying my hair for 20 years I decided to stop because I thought it would make me look older. I was so wrong. I enjoy my gray 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 76

Thank you was sent in error.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 76

Well said LogicsHere!! Getting old isn't for sissies, but unfortuneately we all have different views and some are just mean about it. Gary.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 76

I think one of the things you obviously missed (Social Butterly) was I said for me and my grey hair.  I have seen some gorgeous women with grey hair that look great meaning their whole package inside and out.  Then there are some others who look like a old bag inside and out.  That is fine but again I said for me. As far as makeup, clothing (note:  I shop at the second hand stores for my expensive clothing and jewelry) etc goes;with anything you do  I don't care what age you are you need to know how to, when to  apply.  Unfortunately it is peope like you who don't respect or appreciate other people's opinions on these public forums only your opinion counts  "NOT".    I am very confident and definitely look the part and when I am 80+ I definitely have better things to do than be jealous  and opinionated about what others do.   

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 76

Looking "your" best is subjective.  Everyone has a different definition.  Just because a woman chooses to NOT dye her hair doesn't mean she isn't looking "HER" best.  So please, if you feel looking your best means dying your hair then by all means go do it.  But hair color doesn't change the person you are.  You can be the most beautiful woman in the world, wear the most expensive clothing and jewelry and be a witch. As for me, I'm confident in myself that I don't have to go around looking like I'm going to a masquerade party every day.  There comes a time when dark hair on an 80+ year old woman and a heavy makeup actually makes her look 100.  She is kidding no one but herself.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 76

Well for me and my grey hair I hate it.  I will dye until I can no longer dye it.  I will do it myself due to the high cost of salons.  I feel as though as some of us age we no longer care or want to look our best.  Well, I want to look my best  for as long as possible.   And looking my best includes no grey hair, good physical condition, getting my nails done and yes I will be wearing makeup everyday.  Well, I must end my e-mail now,  I am off to go dye my hair. 

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 76

I don't know who you are referring to as a "sissy" in your post, but those of us who decide to go gray are definitely NOT.  We are self-confident women who believe in ourselves and our accomplishments.  We've earned those grays the hard way and are proud of it.

Kudos
Views