Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Grey hair - embrace it or dye it?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Grey hair - embrace it or dye it?

When do you decide to let it go grey?  There is a new trend for a grey ombre for younger people, which is funny since we all avoid the grey as we age.  When did you stop coloring or will you ever stop?

Share your story.

AARPTeri
Gold Conversationalist

I've always said, "Grey hair is better than no hair".

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Assigning a positive or negative value to hair color is the kind of arbitrary, manufactured reality that people afflicted with an antisocial personality disorder use to manipulate others for their own gratification.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

So people are generally shallow then.... ain't that the truth.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I can do up to 3 dye jobs on a single package of hair color, as my hair has gotten that thin.  Now I just forget to do it, doesn't last that long or make that much of a difference. started getting greys @ 24., never bother coloring till my late 30's. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Depends...is joking an 'embrace'?  I tell people the color of my mustache is the result of giving Driving Lessons.

Super Contributor

My hair started turning gray in my 40s. It is an expensive proposition to have it done professionally. With it requiring a full coloring every other month and a touch up every 4 weeks it would have cost me a minimum of $780 a year.  So I did the math $780 x 10 years = $7,800; $780 x 20 years = $15,600, $780 x 30 years = $23,400.  THAT IS A LOT OF MONEY.  So I ended up doing it myself. I hated the time it took, I hated the mess and hated the fact that many women believe that if you don't color your hair that you don't care about yourself which is a bunch of garbage.  I took that $23,400 that I saved and lived on it for two years so that I could hold off taking my SS at age 70.  What makes me wonder is how any woman who has not aged well and there are plenty that color their hair the darkest blacks and browns they can find think that it makes them look attractive. But I say if you want to color your hair thats your choice. Be my guest . . . color away.  I don't need my hair colored to feel GOOD about myself.  I like who I am and if people want to think less of me because of it then that's their problem.

Super Contributor

I've been coloring my hair since age fourteen. I still color my hair at 68. It has nothing to do with the white or gray hair that may come in...I still only have a few white hairs in my head so don't color it that often and I don't color it to get rid of the white hair. I'm a woman and I do what I want to myself from head to toe all my life; no need quitting now. ๐Ÿ˜„
Trusted Social Butterfly

Months away from 65 and hardly any grey, I would embrace it.  My daughter has way more grey than me in her 40s.

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Super Contributor

I know a lot of women in their 40s with gray hair, too. At 68, I have a few gray hairs, but not much to fuss over. I just believe it's all in our genes when we get gray hair.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I love natural, my hair is gray turning to white and I have had several people tell me they wish they had my hair. But I am blessed, because I have a lot of color in my face, so I do not need to wear makeup or color my hair. I wear my hair short because I am outdoors a lot and I like to shampoo and go with little fuss.

On the other hand, my former business partner has no color in her face and at times has a almost gray tint. She colors her hair strawberry blond and it has always looked natural along with her makeup which is very becoming. For an almost 85 year old she rocks her looks! Believe me the first time I saw her "without her face" as she calls it, I was shocked. Since I never wore makeup I was surprised it could transform a person so much.....hope my face did not show how surprised I was at the change....lol.

So there are two sides to the coin, those of us that like the natural look and those that want help to look their best. As long as we feel good about the way we look there is no right or wrong. Just keep rocking on!

Super Contributor

A few years ago when I saw a young woman in a spa with dyed gray hair, I thought, that's it, I am going for it. I stopped coloring my hair and I love it. It's wonderful not to have to scurry to dye my hair every 3 weeks when the grey grows in at my part. And the multi colors are actually kind of beautiful. Some people think that gray hair ages a woman, but let's face it, all they have to do is look at my face and they will see that I'm old! (I'm only 58 but it definitely shows). Now my hair looks more in line with my face. I still act young (I THINK) and my body is in good shape, so I feel that I am a good role model for my piano students in how to age gracefully. I wear light makeup that enhances and protects my skin, but doesn't try to cover up wrinkles. I feel great about my gray hair and hope that other women will give it a try because it feels so great! 

Social Butterfly

Love your healthy attitude about aging.

Bronze Conversationalist

The year I turned 50, I decided to see what I would look like if I let my curly hair turn grey. Would it grow out evenly or would it grey in clumps or patches? (It was very short at the time, about 3/4 inches all over my head, so it took about 6 months to grow out.) I stopped blowing it dry and let it be and it turned out to be my wisest beauty decision. It's a very light shade of salt/pepper, pretty, easy to care for and I love it! I'm 70 now and have my share of wrinkles from a life well lived and my hair compliments my face.

Sir Granny Tracy
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

woow,i have the same trouble

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

โŠฑโŠฑโŠฑ I have always been and will always be, entirely
au naturel
 Smiley Happy

When I was young, I had pretty blondeโˆ™highlights
that were a gift from *Mother Nature* 
I now have pretty silverโˆ™highlights that are a gift from *Father Time*

โ™ฅ Shelties are not my whole life โˆฝ but they make my life whole โ™ฅ
Trusted Contributor

Dye it until the dye doesn't take the dye anymore then go gray with pride

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@AARPTeri wrote:

When do you decide to let it go grey?  There is a new trend for a grey ombre for younger people, which is funny since we all avoid the grey as we age.  When did you stop coloring or will you ever stop?

Share your story.

Well, as for me and for the time being, my dark hairs far outnumber the grey and I do not color my hair at all.  So I guess I'm embracing the dark hair for now.  But when the grey starts to overtake, I may decide to dye it to match.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I'm not knocking anyone who chooses to dye their hair, it's a personal choice! 

I don't like beauty parlors, I'm not good at doing fancy things to my own hair, and as I have very few wrinkles though 4 days short of turning 70, I chose not to dye! 

My daughter and all her friends, male and female, dye their hair. ..so this is strictly my personal choice. 

If you feel better with dyed hair, go for it! 

Regular Contributor

Well for me and my grey hair I hate it.  I will dye until I can no longer dye it.  I will do it myself due to the high cost of salons.  I feel as though as some of us age we no longer care or want to look our best.  Well, I want to look my best  for as long as possible.   And looking my best includes no grey hair, good physical condition, getting my nails done and yes I will be wearing makeup everyday.  Well, I must end my e-mail now,  I am off to go dye my hair. 

Super Contributor

Looking "your" best is subjective.  Everyone has a different definition.  Just because a woman chooses to NOT dye her hair doesn't mean she isn't looking "HER" best.  So please, if you feel looking your best means dying your hair then by all means go do it.  But hair color doesn't change the person you are.  You can be the most beautiful woman in the world, wear the most expensive clothing and jewelry and be a witch. As for me, I'm confident in myself that I don't have to go around looking like I'm going to a masquerade party every day.  There comes a time when dark hair on an 80+ year old woman and a heavy makeup actually makes her look 100.  She is kidding no one but herself.

Regular Contributor

I think one of the things you obviously missed (Social Butterly) was I said for me and my grey hair.  I have seen some gorgeous women with grey hair that look great meaning their whole package inside and out.  Then there are some others who look like a old bag inside and out.  That is fine but again I said for me. As far as makeup, clothing (note:  I shop at the second hand stores for my expensive clothing and jewelry) etc goes;with anything you do  I don't care what age you are you need to know how to, when to  apply.  Unfortunately it is peope like you who don't respect or appreciate other people's opinions on these public forums only your opinion counts  "NOT".    I am very confident and definitely look the part and when I am 80+ I definitely have better things to do than be jealous  and opinionated about what others do.   

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Gray hair, nope, no thanks.

Iโ€™m not crazy about the expense every 6 weeks, but Iโ€™d like to think personal maintenance is an investment in myself. I also get facials and nowadays I wear less makeup than I used to. Aging isnโ€™t for sissies. 

Super Contributor

I don't know who you are referring to as a "sissy" in your post, but those of us who decide to go gray are definitely NOT.  We are self-confident women who believe in ourselves and our accomplishments.  We've earned those grays the hard way and are proud of it.

Regular Contributor

Well said LogicsHere!! Getting old isn't for sissies, but unfortuneately we all have different views and some are just mean about it. Gary.

Regular Contributor

Thank you was sent in error.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Embrace it. After dying my hair for 20 years I decided to stop because I thought it would make me look older. I was so wrong. I enjoy my gray 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

How wonderful for YOU!  But I perfer to continue to dye.  Thank you,

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

we are ALL beautiful just the way we are already!  God made us one and all, and HE does not make junk.  Love yourself just the way you are ๐Ÿ˜Š

Regular Contributor

I wish we had more positive thinkers like you on this planet, especially how things are today!! Love the grey!! Grey= Sexiness

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP