Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Granny Pods

Message 1 of 15
nyadrn,
Casitas are a terrific idea but are usually quite small. Not bad for a short stay.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 15

Some of the houses out in Vegas have small houses on the property called casitas.  Same great idea!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 15

@2Papa wrote:

Or you could convert your garage into a granny pad.  Are there Gramps pads also?

These used to be called mother-in-law quarters. Some were add on's to garages and some purpose built. If you have the land for it and local codes allow for it a great idea. This keeps family close without being too close. 

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 15

Or you could convert your garage into a granny pad.  Are there Gramps pads also?

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 15

I think the granny pods are a great idea where there's room for them.  I live in a rural area where many people have some acreage, so the granny pod isn't an obstruction at all and there's plenty of room for parking on the property.  Some people about a mile from me are currently putting the finishing touches on a granny pod on their property.  It's the same color as the main house and has plenty of foliage around so that it doesn't look like an  afterthought.  Today they were doing the framing for the concrete front step.  Someone is going to be very happy there havng their own cute space, close to family to look after them. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 15

Brilliant idea, these granny pods.  Not just for grannies, either! For any family with relatives having illnesses or disabilities, this would allow nearby assistance while providing privacy. Hopefully, no building codes would prevent this option.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 15

I totally agree about the stairs - not something that gets any easier with age. I assume it must have been necessary to keep a small footprint but for me, stairs are out (or will be when it's my turn to downsize!). 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Granny Pods

Message 8 of 15

I wish to find a granny pad for rent.

Please call me at 871-2675 so I can make an appointment.

Thank you

Olif Spear

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 15

My daughter and I both have 2-car garages with ample driveways. Big yards too! Street parking would be a problem

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 15

Both me and my daughter have 2-car garages with ample driveways. If you have street parking I guess it would be a problem. We both have large yards also.

Kudos
Views